Chapter 32

Alexandra

The winter was harsh this year. The sun was stripped of its light and warmth. Trees sent up crooked, bare branches into the frostbitten air. From the vertex of the palace tower, I stood watching the sky with snow-packed clouds hover over the ghost city.

It was the scene that made my heart clench with haunting memories.

On this day, three years ago when the weather as cold and bitter as this morning, I lay dying in the midst of betrayal and jealousy. Ever since I was back in Moscow, I hadn't thought of it once.

Now, I remembered what had happened so vividly like I was reliving it. I wouldn't have lost just my life but also a chance at love with Avery, which would be the most painful death of all.

All I wanted for the rest of my life was to cherish the one who saved my heart from all the greed and the chaos, but it seemed reality always came to snatch my happiness away.

As I looked at the red domes of St. Basil's Cathedral, Victor's voice drew my attention away from the gloomy view.

"Your Majesty, it's high time we leave for the procession," he said.

"I'm not a Czarina yet, Victor," I said without turning. "Must you start calling me so formally already?"

"It's just a matter of time, isn't it?" he said. "Once you take the throne, you have the power to safeguard our peace."

"Safeguard our peace," I echoed his word. "What you mean is a war without the sanction of the Allied Nations. It's going to be fun like the good old days, isn't it?"

The sarcasm wasn't missed by my adviser, but he merely let out a soft sigh.

"It's for the future of the Empire," Victor said. "We are doing the other nations a favor by standing up against the greedy tyrants."

"Are you sure we're not one of the tyrants?" I said. "Look at this place now, Victor. We're like the winter to the world. Everywhere we go, nothing grows, nothing changes—all frozen in the gloom. Maybe the idea of us killing each other isn't so bad after all. Maybe after all that, something good might blossom again."

Victor fell silent for a while.

"You have changed a lot," he noted at last.

I chuckled to myself.

"You know that I died twice—brought back by revenge and then by love," I reminded him. "Perhaps, I might've gained some sort of wisdom after all."

"Alexandra, it's moment like this that I couldn't decide who you remind me of the most."

I finally turned to face the old vampire. Victor was adorned in a sleek military uniform, holding a crested sword at his belt. But the man didn't look as comfortable donning an epaulet as I did. I had had years of experience in formal engagement, except this time it was different.

"You look pretty sharp in uniform," I complimented him. He gave me an embarrassed smile back.

"So do you, Your Majesty," he said. "I'm pretty sure if Emperor Nikolas had seen you now, he would have been very proud of you."

I laughed and glanced down at my coronation attire— the Supertunica, the long coat of gold silk and embroidered ermine cape that reached my ankles. Its crimson velvet was heavily rimmed with gold and silver threads. My royal surcoat was also woven with intricate lace and the national emblem featuring a double-headed eagle.

No matter how I insisted on the simplest possible regalia, the Kremlin armory still sent me a rather extravagant one. But at least, they did follow my instruction to alter the design, which resembled my father's coronation garment. I was probably the first and the last Romanov heir to be wearing it this way.