Chapter 16

Anastasia

It was a brisk quiet afternoon of the following day when I opened my heavy eyelids again. The light of the winter sun peered over the snow-covered horizon.

The hunters had escorted me to a heavily guarded wing of the castle the night before. I was allowed to stay in a dark chamber with one arched window overlooking a large common square at the east.

The chamber smelled like dead autumn leaves when I first stepped in, but it had a cozy atmosphere. I could see from the window a cluster of small stone houses below, stretching out into the dark green wilderness.

The mist had cleared outside the frosted glass, but the chill hadn't ceased from the room. A burning fireplace provided its warmth and brightened the place with its golden glow. A set of old cushioned furniture spread around a large faded Byzantine rug. The four-posted bed made of oak wood was set by the other wall. It was where I had slept like a dead, how ironic, but at least I became better and my limbs no longer felt like they belonged to someone else. Even the deepest wounds had healed practically without the faintest scars.

Lyra wasn't allowed to be with me that night, I remembered she had insisted, but to no avail. They must've kept her away from me because of my predatory tendencies. But I didn't mind. It was best for me to be left alone.

When I was released the hall with the two huntresses and a few others the day before, the man whose named I didn't remember had fixed me a warm bag of fresh blood. This must have accelerated my healing and somewhat improved my state of mind, although I was still confused after a session of deep conversation with the former, supposedly dead, Bolshevik leader.

Trotsky was also alive all this time, well, sort of. Now he was the so-called general of the hunters. He had made it clear that his goal was to overthrow my government with my help. It was ridiculous as it sounded, but for some reason, his haunting suggestion still hung over me like an invisible weight.

You have to join us and help us liberate the humans, Anastasia, this world does not belong to the dead, but the living. You have the power to set things right again.

My eyes were still focused on the void beyond the grayish ceiling when I heard a loud knock on the wooden door before it screeched open, and out came a few hunters. Then Valerina also stepped into the room. I swung my legs over the bed and stood up.

My movement made at least two hunters behind her to hold on to their weapons out of caution. But Vale reassured them with a wave of her hand.

I gave them an amused smile as they kept staring grudgingly at me. One of the hunters carried a pile of clothes in his hands.

"Wait for me outside," Valerina said to her teammates and took the clothes.

"But...Beta, you shouldn't be alone with her. What if something happens? She can be dangerous," one of them warned.

"Don't worry." she turned sideways at them. "I can handle it."

They hesitated for a moment before they finally nodded and left, closing the door as they walked out. When they were gone, Vale put the clothes on the table near the door and cleared her throat awkwardly.

"I was ordered to show you around, so you must get ready," she said in a flat tone.

"And to what do I owe the honor?" I asked, arching my eyebrows in a sarcastic surprise.

"It's an order," she said almost too quickly as if afraid to shutter under my gaze.

My mind was still marveled at how she could appear as a young, sea-blue-eyed innocent girl who dressed in a velvet red hood but possessed the killing instinct of a swift assassin.