Chapter 26

Valerina

Back at the castle, I sat in a corner of the hospital wing, waiting. Twilight had already faded. The nurses started lighting the torches and placing candles in the lamps to dispel the darkness. But the gloom still lingered like shadows on the walls. The silence taunted me even more as the hours dragged on.

Trotsky had ordered men to transport us back to the castle with our aircraft. Anastasia was severely wounded and unconscious ever since. At the moment, Arkady was doing his best to save her. The man was an excellent physician, just as his nephew was an excellent inventor, but I still felt anxious and disoriented by what had happened.

I would have been dead if Anastasia hadn't saved me. She had sacrificed herself for me. Though our relationship had been on a rough patch leading to a dead end, my heart still felt an indescribable pain when she was hurt.

"Vale, are you alright?" Damir asked me softly. He had been by my side after the accident. I was too dazed to answer him. The only person I was thinking of was lying listlessly behind those closed doors.

My sister had gone back to manage the orders of the hunters. The two Generals were inside with Ark. I hoped they could save Anastasia with the mysterious power of their vampire blood. How long was it going to last? It seemed like one hundred years had passed. Just a while ago, Anastasia was walking beside me. I noticed she had withdrawn herself. Her lack of attention brought me an unexpected sadness. I knew deep down there were feelings she hid from me. But now we were separated even farther away by a greater distance that I was powerless to close. It made me sick at the thought that she might die.

No, I need her in my life.

I couldn't deny the truth anymore.

A while later, a distraught-looking Lyra came running down the hall towards us. Although Trotsky had warned others to keep it a secret, the news of Anastasia Romanov being injured must have spread throughout the castle.

When Lyra saw me and Damir, she stopped.

"Please tell me what happened to her," she said, her eyes glistened with lingering tears.

"There was an accident at the camp," Damir answered for me. "The princess is wounded by an explosive device."

Damir tried to minimize the details to spare me the blame, but I wasn't afraid of the accusation. I was only guilty of being the cause of it.

"How did it happen?" Lyra asked.

"She saved my life," I told her in a scratchy voice. "The bomb could have killed me if she wasn't there."

"It was an accident," Damir tried to remind me.

Lyra put her hands to her mouth and looked at the closed doors. She turned to face me again. Surely, she could resent me for putting her lover in such a state. But I saw a flash of jealousy in her eyes.

A moment later, Arkady came out with the Generals. They were talking in a hushed tone. Lyra and I went over to them at the same time.

"How is she?" I asked.

They looked at our expectant faces for a minute before Arkady cleared his throat.

"She's still alive," he said to my relief. "We gave her blood transfusion and did a number of surgeries to remove the metal shrapnel. Now her condition is stable but she needs more rest in order to recover fully. If she was an ordinary vampire, the bomb would have killed her instantly. Luckily, the quick-silver hadn't reached her heart yet. Her wounds healed remarkably fast, so there's nothing to worry about for now."