Chapter Fourteen

Sakura felt like her life was stagnant.

A whole year had passed, but she felt like she was exactly where she was a year ago.

Logically, she knew this was not the case. Enrolling in online school was one of the best things she could have done for herself. It was almost as good as when she decided to move away from Konoha, though she would never say it out loud. Due to her decision to pursue her degree online, she was able to finish it all pretty fast and was ahead of most of her friends in advancing academically. Her parents and friends were proud, Gaara was proud, and she felt she was on the right track.. Academically.

All around her was engagement, wedding, pregnancy, and relationship announcements.

A lot had happened in a year where her friends were involved but all Sakura had was her schoolwork.

Ino and Sai got married a month ago.

Naruto and Hinata have been engaged for three months while Shikamaru and Temari were due to be married in the Spring.

It made her feel suffocated. Sakura felt like she was behind in life and it was irritating because she knew, logically, that life had no exact time line nor plan. It all happened when it was the right time and bad things come from rushed situations. Sasuke was a good example of that and if she really wanted to include him, Itachi could serve as a minor example of rushed decisions.

It wasn’t like she was romantically alone, either.

Her and Gaara have been dating for a year now, but she wasn’t sure where their paths were leading.

He satisfied her for the most part sexually and he provided emotional companionship, but outside of that she felt she was at odds with him and their relationship. When she pictured herself settling down and marrying, having children of her own: they didn’t have red hair. Of course, this unsettled her, and she would quickly remind herself of how much Gaara has done for her. How comfortable she was with him. How stable it was with him.

She didn’t want to disrupt what they had, but she also didn’t know what else they could have. Sakura didn’t love him and she didn’t know if he loved her.

“Did you stay up for me?” He purred into her ear as he joined her on the bed. His arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her back up against his chest, and he pressed firm kisses to her cheek and down to the junction of her neck.

“Of course,” Sakura said in response and she closed her eyes. She wouldn’t admit that everytime she was awake when he came home it was because she was up thinking or felt lonely. It is how it has been since he moved in with her when Ino moved in with Sai. She didn’t want to admit it to herself, either.

It was easy.

Too easy to fall in place against the mattress when he shifted them to where she was staring up at him and he down at her. Emerald met seafoam and the rest was history that night when their bodies collided.