3. Preparations

"You've got to be kidding me," Anakin said looking around the council chamber with a disbelieving grin, "Those two? As a couple? No one is going to buy that."

I felt my face go hot and my fingernails bit into my palm. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Obi-Wan shift in his seat and almost imperceptibly felt his Force signature change to match mine: a deep annoyance that well obscured the shock of excitement.

Padmé's hologram glared at him, "Fortunately, no one asked you Anakin."

This time it was Obi-Wan's turn to hide his grin. Even Master Windu's mouth twitched. I bit my lip but only wished that I'd been the one who said it.

"I only meant," Anakin said quietly, "that everyone in the galaxy knows who they are. That they're friendly with the Senator."

"Yes," Master Yoda said, "but young Skywalker. You everyone will expect to see. But suspect a regal and powerful warlord couple they will not."

The look on Anakin's face was priceless but he rearranged it so quickly that I doubt anyone but myself and Obi-Wan recognized it: a mix between awe and horror that Yoda would so blatantly hint at something more between the Senator and himself.

"If I may interject," Obi-Wan said before Anakin had the chance to say anything he'd regret, "Anakin does have a point. Especially with all three of us, that combination is to be expected."

Yoda nodded thoughtfully as if he had not already considered this at length.

"As well known as you think, Master Malmarin is not. Their job discreetly they do," he said nodding to me, "and disguises you will have."

"And that is where I come in," Padmé said, "You'll both be unrecognizable out of your Jedi robes. I'm arriving in Coruscant shortly and will get you all ready before we depart for Naboo."

I raised my eyebrows, not even daring to ask what lavish outfits the former Queen of Naboo had stored away that would coincidentally be my size.

"And why does this meeting have to be on Naboo again?" Anakin interrupted again.

"To show them we trust them. Enough to invite them into my home," Padmé explained, barely hiding her exasperated tone.

"But couldn't we meet them in some neutral system where you and your family are not at so great of risk?

"It's an olive branch, Anakin. Whether we like it or not, it is the best course of action to get this system on the side of the Republic," Obi-Wan said, making far less effort than Padmé to hide his exasperated tone.

Yoda seemed to care little for this exchange, "Prepare Master Kenobi and Master Palmarin, Senator Amidala will. And to Naboo follow they will."

Seeing it would do no good to argue, Anakin was content to frown and glare menacingly as the rest of the plan was laid out.

It was simple really. Obi-Wan and I in disguise. Anakin seemingly the only protection to the Senator in the midst of a potentially hostile environment. A dinner over which politics would be discussed. The guests to sleep in an elaborate lakeside villa. And on their way the next morning after another round of political discussions over a lavish meal. What could go wrong?