11. Goodbye?

I was on a ship to Yavin 4 when I received the message, something coded and from an unknown signal. I knew who it was without opening it.

I was alone, finally having left my undercover post and heading to the base of operations where things were changing - where the Rebellion wanted me to become General Palmarin again.

It felt like fate: on my way to the Rebel base of operations after so many years of working in the shadows, driving the Resistance forward - only to hear Obi-Wan's voice again. It was the timbre I remembered and adored, the man whose soft spoken tone had the ability to command armies and sway empires. But as was all too common, it was filled with deep sadness.

My heart swelled when his face came into view, older and showing the time he had spent on a desert planet with twin suns. But it was still Obi-Wan, his smile lines prominent, the ever-present twinkle to his gaze still there, regardless of his grim tone.

"I've just killed Maul," he said, the hologram flickering faintly, "He found me on Tatooine. I don't know how, but he did. So I'm going dark."

He chuckled, interrupting himself, "that was dramatic, I sound like-"

He stopped himself and I felt tears forming. I could see him visibly choke up, unable to say his name even after all this time, "This might be the last time you hear from me. At least until- until the time is right."

Obi-Wan smiled suddenly, "The kid, he's strong in the Force you know. Really strong. He could change the course of history again. As could his sister. As you know."

I smiled this time, tears falling rapidly knowing that I would only get to hear the message once, that it would self-destruct the file the moment it concluded.

"So I hope this isn't goodbye, but it might be. And I'm sorry if it is. I love you Cecil. Don't forget it," he paused and it felt like he was staring right at me, like he was right there in front of me, "may the Force be with you, my darling."

-----------

a/n:  merry christmas to all who celebrate! this story is slowly coming to its end and the last two chapters following this are my favorites so i cannot wait to post them. hope you all have a wonderful holiday season <3

xx