II

"Wilbur!" I yelled as I walked into his comfy apartment. "Wilbur, you better not be in bed right now!"

I walked down the hall to his bedroom and there he was laying in bed. His soft curls peeked out from over the blanket. I let out a slow breath and walked over to his curtains and pulled them open, letting the sun in his bedroom, "Wilbur, wake up."

He groans and rolls over, so the sun won't hit his eyes. I groan loudly and walk to his bed to rip the blanket off of him. I grab the end of the blanket and was about to pull it, when Wilbur grabs my hand and sits up, "I'm tired."

"So..."

"So...that means I don't want to get up right now,"

"Well, a lot of people don't want a lot of things, but they get them anyway,"

"What are you, my therapist?" he smiles through sleepy eyes.

"No...I'm your best friend who is starving and wants to spend time with you, because she hasn't seen you in weeks,"

"I feel like there's gonna be something after this,"

"That's because there is," I laugh. "I want to go to the fair this weekend with you and the others."

"Sophie, I hate the fair," he groans.

"Pleassssseeeee," I whine.

"No," he looks at me stubbornly and crawls out of bed. "The fair is filled with people. People who are in love. People who try to live out those stupid carnival clichés, like kissing on the Farris Wheel, or sharing cotton candy, or dancing in the rain."

"But Willlllll," I pout. "There are also other things that don't involve romance."

"Name one,"

"Carnival games," I suggest.

"Guy wins girl a huge stuffed animal," he points out as he throws on his shirt for the day.

"Fine, uhhhh, milkshakes,"

"The girl and guy share a milkshake,"

"Walking around,"

"Leading to them holding hands,"

"I give up!" I yell dramatically. "Why are you so fucking stubborn!"

"We can do literally anything except that," he says.

I walk over to him and pull him in a hug as I pout.

"Stop pouting,"

I whine in his ear.

"Ughhhhh, fine," he says. "I'll go. You better be lucky I'm tired and don't want your whining in my ear."

I hug him tighter, "I love you and I promise you won't regret it, Wilby,"

"I might change my mind if you call me that again,"

"That would be stupid when I already bought your wristband,"

"I've been set up,"

I smile and run out the door.

{Created: October 15, 2022 at 2:52 pm}

[Published: October 15, 2022 at 2:05 pm]

[Republished: January 11, 2022 at 3:29 PM]

(Edited: October 18, 2022 at 4:36 PM)

Word Count: 418 words