VIII

There I sat under the willow tree. Unfortunately not the one Will and I met under, but another in the back lot of the carnival. All I could do is replay the events. Trying to explain to myself what happened. One minute Will and I were fine. Laughing and making faces into the booth, and just like that...his lips were mine. The worst part...I kissed him back.

What was I thinking? I have a boyfriend. A wonderful boyfriend who has never ever hurt me. Well, almost. He wasn't perfect, but he tried. He was horrible with his emotions and sometimes we'd argue, but every couple argues. It's a part of the process. I crossed the line kissing Will back. I just cheated on my boyfriend.

I start to cry all over again. I just can't wrap my head around it. Leo and I have been together since long before Will and I met. He was supportive and even trusted me enough to be out late over at Will's to work on his album. He's never not trusted me. Will and I have been friends for years. What's different now?

I mean when I first met Will, I thought he was attractive, but that was by far the only time I ever felt any feeling for him. I didn't find him sexually attractive at all considering I had a boyfriend, but obviously Will didn't feel the same way.

I don't even know what to do anymore. I hear footsteps slowly approach me and I turn to see Wilbur walking towards the tree.

"Sophie, look...I'm sorry," he says. "I'm sorry for kissing you. I shouldn't have. I crossed a line. I know that you have a boyfriend, and I know that you're very happy with him. I shouldn't have done that and I'm so fucking sorry. I completely understand if you don't want to be friends anymore. So...I'm gonna leave, but I just wanted to apologize for doing that to you."

"Will..." I whisper. I scoot over and pat the spot beside me.

He walks over and sits down, "Will, you're right. You shouldn't have kissed me, but it's not completely your fault."

"I don't understand,"

"I kissed you back," I confess. He inhales deeply. "I shouldn't have overreacted. I had no right to and I feel horrible. A real girlfriend would have pushed away or said no or something to reject, but...I just kissed back. So, this isn't your fault. It's mine. Maybe if I wasn't so clueless, I would have known that you had feelings for me and when you said you didn't want to come here, I should have respected that."

"I wish I could fix this," he mumbles.

"Me too," I look down at my hands, as a tear slides down my face. "Can we please just go home and forget about this?"

"Yea," he mumbles. "I'll go get the others."

He stands up and walks away without a second glance.

{Created: October 15, 2022 at 6:01 pm}

[Published: October 15, 2022 at 11:56 pm]

[Republished: February 12, 2022 at 2:05 pm]

(Edited: October 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM)

Word Count: 502 words