III

"Will, why do you actually hate the carnival so much?" I ask.

"You'd hate it too if you were me," He says while taking a sip of coffee.

"Why...because you're single?" I ask. "I was single once too y'know."

"Yea, but you're not single now," Wilbur mumbles.

"I'm sure you'll find your Leo one day," I smile. "Y'know, except, female."

"How has it been anyway?" asks Will.

"It's actually amazing," I smile. "Last week, he took me to a fancy Italian restaurant. It was really nice. Next month, we're supposed to be taking a flight to America. He wanted to see the Appalachian Mountains."

"Sounds fun," he says sarcastically.

"Will, you're going to meet the one for you someday," I reassured. "If you stop avoiding places just because they have romantic clichés, you wouldn't be having this problem."

"I'm not avoiding them," he responds. "I just don't like going to them."

"Fine, stop not going to them,"

He sets his empty coffee cup down and looks at me, "That's just not how that works. That's also a cliché."

"Will, why are you making this so complicated?" I ask.

"I'm not, I'm just being realistic," he answers, shrugging his shoulders. "How many times in your life have you had love at first sight and it actually worked out?"

"That doesn't count," I answered.

"Oh right, because Leo was your high school sweetheart," he says. "Guess some of us aren't as lucky."

We sit in silence for the next five minutes while Will calms down, "Sorry, Sophie."

"It's okay," I answered quietly. "I technically asked for it."

"No, I just got a bit roweled up," he stands up and offers his hand. I slowly take it and we walk back to my car.

I get inside and pass him the AUX as we drive down the road.

We arrive back at his place and he opens the door, "See you this weekend, Will."

"See you this weekend, Sophie," he smiles back.

{Created: October 15, 2022 at 3:14 pm}

[Published: October 15, 2022 at 3:37 pm]

[Republished: January 11, 2023 at 3:30 PM]

(Edited: October 18, 2022 at 4:36 PM)

Word Count: 329 words