Chapter 19: Keefe (Sneak Peek)

"Kayla!" Keefe screamed. He tried to wrest himself from his bonds, but the ropes held fast. Keefe was helpless. 

Still, he fought. He couldn't lose the only person member of his family who actually cared about him. Not here, and definitely not now, with the Lost Cities teetering on the brink of war.  

Before Kayla, Keefe had been so alone, so angry and lost. Everyone he knew had someone they could turn to, someone who understood them on a level others could not. Biana had Fitz, Dex had Kesler, heck, even Sophie had Edaline. Literally, the only person who came close was Sophie, but Keefe was pretty sure she hated him now.

So, if Kayla died, he'd be well and truly abandoned. A loner, adrift amongst the Forbidden Cities, with no real friends, family, or home.

Unexpectedly, his terror shifted to anger. 

How many times had Keefe stood in this position before? Forced to watch as the Neverseen hurt someone he loved, and powerless to do anything about it. 

No more. 

Keefe was done with losing family. 

Done with all the fear that had plagued his mind after discovering his speaking ability. Done with the rage  of losing, over and over again to the Neverseen. Done with the hurt that came with having no parents, or siblings. 

Keefe let go.

Keefe grasped the null on his right arm, then with a single, swift movement, tore it off.