Chapter 7 - Keefe

Standing there, with a blade to his neck, Keefe couldn't imagine a worse mess to be in. Sure, his arms were still free, but he doubted he could reach his melder before his attacker slit his throat. That left the least desirable option; to tell the truth. Taking a deep breath, he spoke.

"The pendant is from a case file that I found in one of the Neverseen's hideouts on Phoenix. It was the only piece of hard evidence I could use to try and find the group, assuming they actually exist. "

"And why exactly are you looking for Phoenix?" his captor demanded. "To spy on them for the Neverseen?"

Keefe shook his head.

"I went looking for Phoenix because the Black Swan needs their help." he said, and brought out the swan charm.

His captor sucked in a breath, and the pressure of the blade at his neck lessened.

"You're..you're part of the Black Swan." the figure breathed.

The blade dropped from Keefe's neck and he collapsed, gasping for air

Moving quickly, the figure padded into his line of sight and crouched down to Keefe. With trembling hands, the figure pulled out the Sencen pin.

It was Keefe's turn to gasp. "That's my family crest."

"How-how did you get that?"

The figure took a deep breath, and pulled off her hood, revealing a girl about my age, with coppery blond hair and ice blue eyes.

"I have it because you gave it to me, Keefe." she explained.

"What are you saying?" Keefe demanded.

"I'm saying it's nice to meet you, brother. My name is Kayla Sencen."