Chapter 9 - Keefe

The portal deposited Keefe and Kayla on a stone platform.

As soon as Keefe landed on the stone floor, his stomach caught up to him and he retched what was left of his dinner.

He really, really, REALLY hated portals.

Beside him, Kayla winced, then helped him to his feet.

The pair stood just at the edge of a rocky outcropping overlooking darkness.

"This is Phoenix?" Keefe asked, feeling a tad bit disappointed.

To be honest, he'd expected something more grandiose, like a massive city filled with shining buildings, not an empty cavern. After all, if Phoenix dealt with extraordinary abilities, what was to say that they didn't have a beautiful home to match that ability?

Almost as she heard what he'd thought, Kayla shook her head.

Taking a deep breath, she dashed straight at the edge of the cliff.

There was a flash of energy, then she was gone.

Keefe froze.

"Kayla?" he called out.

No response.

Then, as if mentally transmutting from a long distance he heard her voice.

What are you waiting for?

Keefe jumped. Looking around wildly, he searched for the source of the voice.

It was only when Kayla repeated herself Keefe realized how she was talking to him.

You're a Telepath?

From wherever Kayla was, she gave a sense of acknowledgement.

Listen, Keefe the cliff is an invisible barrier that can only be parted if you run straight at it. I know all of this is new to you, but if you stay outside the barrier too long, one of the residential wyverns might find you.

Wyvern?

Kayla sent him an image of a medium sized creature with eagle talons as feet, two enormous leathery bat wings and a sharp, angular head.

Trust me, Keefe. You do not want to be alone with these things.

Her mental tone was enough to motivate him to move.

Taking a deep breath, Keefe clutched his charm, then dashed straight at the edge.