Smart Rosie

Carter's POV:
You're being too clingy.
You're gonna scare her off.
Is she gonna leave?
Scarly's the same as the rest. No, she's not.
Yes, she is.
This is moving too fast.
You just met her.

'Hey, baby. You still in there?' I could hear her voice softly trying to pull me from my thoughts. I wanted to listen to her and just accept that maybe she actually was different, but I couldn't help the nagging voice that had been bugging me: She's the same as the rest.

I needed to get away from her. At least I thought I did. I needed space. I needed to breathe. I needed everything to stop for just a second. It was a lot. And I was not ready. It was too much. Too fast. And too soon.

So, you started squirming, my squirms turning to thrashed, my thrashes turning to kicks, well kick attempts, you get the picture.

'Woah, woah, woah. We don't kick. Calm down, honey. I need you to work with me here.'she tried to soothe me, but she was no help in this moment.

'No no no. Let go. I need down. I need down.' I exclaimed.

She paused, 'ok ok. Just let me set you in the car I don't want you standing in the parking lot.'

She hurried to the car, opening the door and setting me on the seat and backing up. I backed away, scrambling to the back row and pushing myself into the corner. I could feel how fast my heart was racing. I was fighting a hard game with air, trying to get a breath. I was losing. For the first time, I could feel the wet, sticky tears coating my cheeks. I silently slapped myself for my sensitivity. Why does my response always have to be crying?

I looked up as Scarlett seemed helpless. I could tell she really wanted to help me. I could see het holding herself back. I was happy that she respected my boundaries even if she obviously didn't want to. I watched as she looked down at Rose when Rosie said something. I was too consumed by my lack of air to hear what was going on.

Before I knew it, Rosie was shutting the door behind her as she climbed in the car, Scarlett just outside it. She came towards me, cautiously, watching my reaction as if worried I'd be afraid of her. I wasn't. She had done nothing wrong. Neither had Scarly, but she was the one I was worried about. I've never had a sister so I've got nothing to compare Rosie to not that you should really be comparing Scarly to daddy's past girlfriends.

'Breathe, baby. Deep breaths. You got it, baby.' I could finally hear Rosie say. It calmed me slightly knowing she was trying to help me. I shook my head unable to answer her requests.

'Can I hold you?' She asked. I thought for a second before nodding. She sat beside me and tried her best to gently move me into her lap. She hugged me close rocking us back and forth. She must've learned that from Scarly. I appreciated it. It really did help. Rosie spent the next five minutes helping me breathe normally and telling me how great I was doing. She really was the best.

'What happened, baby?' She asked. I shrugged my shoulders not completely sure what happened. Usually I'd be a little upset if another kid called baby, especially one only two years older, but something about Rosie I didn't mind. Something about her made it ok.

'Was it too much?' She said as if she could hear my thoughts. I nodded against her.

'Too fast also?' She continued. Maybe she's a mind reader. Again I nodded.

'It's called being overwhelmed. We all experience it sometimes. It's ok, it just means everything got too much for us and we need a little break. That's what mama tells me.' She said. Rosie must be the smartest girl I've ever met.

'Can you tell me why? What made you so upset? I don't like seeing you upset. It makes me sad.' She explains. That immediately catches my attention and I look at her. Sure enough she seemed a little down.

'Ro Ro no sad.' I said while pouting at her.

'Maybe you can tell me why you're upset so I can try to help and we can both be happy?' She suggests.

I think about everything for a moment, 'don't know.'

'Ok, is it the zoo?' She asks. I shake my head.

'Are you too tired maybe?' I shake my head again.

'Colin taking the stuffie to pay? I shake my head.

'The people here? The crowds?' I shake my head.

She takes a break to think before she looks like she figured it out. 'Is it mama?'

She must be the smartest girl on the planet. I slowly nod worried she'll be upset.

'Oh, did she do something wrong?' I immediately shake my head. She's never done anything wrong, and that's the problem.

By my response she stops and looks at me, studying me. 'Is she confusing you because she's different?'

I freeze. How did she know? How would she know?' I know what you're feeling Carter. I felt the same way about Colin when I first met him.'

I tilt my head to encourage her to continue.

'He was perfect. Too perfect. He made mama laugh and me too even if I didn't want to at first. He was well is so sweet and treats both of us right. He likes to play games and be silly. And he's a great dad. I was scared. Other people mom's been with haven't been that great for her or they were and then they just left one day. But he's proved every time that he's not going anywhere. Now you aren't either.' She explains.

'Really?' I asked quietly.

'Really. If it makes you feel better, we can make a promise. As long as you and Colin never leave, mama and I won't either. Not that any of us planned on it but we're a family now. And family always sticks together. You're never getting rid of us. I promise.' She continues.

'Promise?' I question.

'Promise.' She confirms.

A/N: ok, so this is so cute. I thought we could all use a Rosie moment. And a little big sister action. Anyways, I know I said it last week but there might be an extra update sometime soon. I'm working on it. But you hope you enjoyed this. As always my DMs are open so any requests or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Anyways, see you in the next one.
Love,
EJ <3