3 | THE FUTURE

SALEM, 1993

Sage walked through the familiar town, no matter how long it had been. Salem never changed to the witch. She walked through the town, sticking out like a sore thumb due to the fact she wasn't dressed up like many others. She walked past a group of teenage boys, one of whom let out a wolf whistle to her.

The witch turned, her eyes glaring at the group. She then gave them a small wink. What they hadn't noticed is that all their shoes were now tied together, sometimes having magic is very useful. She chuckled to herself and continued to her walk to the Sanderson House. Over the years it had changed, at first it was abandoned for a while, then it was turned into sort of museum and then once again it was abandoned. There had been to many stupid kids breaking into and messing around in the building, but no major damage had been done.

The girl had decided to make a stop in the cemetery and visit and old friends grave, Billy. He had a fling with Sarah and had shared a kiss with Winnifred. The whole situation became very confused but ended with Winnifred killed Billy and sewing his mouth shut to stop him from ever speaking in the afterlife. She walked over to the grave, having created a bouquet of flowers with her magic to rest of the grave.

Her kindness to her old friend had become a thing in Salem, every Halloween, people had found flowers on a grave that was three hundred years old. It was odd to the small town, but people always believed it was a ghost or the lost Sanderson sister.

The story of the Sanderson Sisters was a huge one in Salem, people mainly focused on the three child eating sisters and the legend of the black cat that guarded the Sanderson House every Halloween. But there was the fourth Sanderson Sister, the lost sister, the one who disappeared and was the lover of Thackery Binx. People thought she was still alive based on the accounts of people who lived at that time, the sister who was forever beautiful while the others grew old and ugly. 

Suddenly, just as Sage laid down the flowers, she felt an awful chill run down her spine. Her head snapped up, her eyes darting towards the area where the Sanderson House was. She immediately feared the worse. Her first instinct was to head to the house but then she realised that if something had happened, there would likely be some stupid kids running away. She created herself a broom, she rolled her eyes as she realised how her idea had turned her into the stereotype of a witch and flew into the air.

It didn't take too long to notice three kids running away from the direction of the home, at first, she didn't think much, one of them was dressed for trick or treating, but then she noticed what the boy was holding. She followed them, hearing the younger girl point out that they were being followed by "something in the air". Sage's plan was to follow them until they stopped and then ask how stupid those kids were for stealing Book.

The three kids stopped at the cemetery, having thought that the witch in the sky was no longer following them and for some reason, listening to a talking black cat who said they would be safe. 

Sage felt her feet touch the floor as she stood behind the three kids. "Please tell me no one lit the candle."

The three let out a scream and turned, the older girl picked up a branch and almost swung at her before the younger girl stopped her. "She isn't a Sanderson."

"She is." Another voice spoke, a very, very familiar voice. "That's Sage Sanderson."

"Did we bring her back as well?" The human boy asked.

Sage shook her head, letting her broom stick disappear. "I've been around a while. But considering you just said that I'm assuming my sisters are back? Who lit it?"

The younger girl pointed to the boy. "My brother, Max."

The witch walked towards him, seeing his fearful look on his face. She took the book out of his hands and then slapped him around the back of the head. "Always listen to the curses. Thackery, how could you let this happen?"

"How could I?" The cat snapped back as he finally made eye contact with Sage. "You are here too, why didn't you?"

"You were at the house, I wasn't." She argued back.

"Thackery?" The girl spoke. "As in Thackery Binx? Your lover?"

The pair looked at each other, considering they hadn't really seen each other in three hundred years, were they still technically lovers? Sage had never seen anyone else and well, Thackery was a cat...so...

"We don't need to get into that. So, tell me, Max, what on Earth compelled you to light that candle?"

The boy shrugged. "I didn't believe in it, thought it was all just some hocus pocus. I didn't know what was going to happen."

The young girl went up to Sage. "I'm Danni. That's Allison."

Somehow this calmed Sage down and she no longer wanted to bury Max six feet under. "Sage. At least you guys were right to follow Thackery here, my sisters can't step on hallowed ground."

"How come you can?" Danni asked.

"I don't follow the same magic as my sisters. I use light magic, good magic."

"How come you haven't aged?" Max then questioned. "You're like what, three hundred years old, you look like you're seventeen."

Thackery jumped onto Sage's shoulder. "It comes from following the light magic, it bestowed the girl of immortality."

"Not much of a gift, if you ask me. Only really works when there are other immortal people with you." Sage replied.

She wasn't too fussed with Thackery just sitting on her shoulder like a parrot, as a human he had a habit or wrapping his arms around her shoulders while stood behind her. It was almost the same.