4 | THE CANDLE

AFTER A LITTLE more talking, mainly about how stupid Max had been to light the candle and how Winnifred must never get hold of Book again, or at least until sunrise, Max pulled the book out of Sage's arms.

"Well, why don't we just torch this sucker." He dropped the book on the ground and flicked out his lighter, placing it against it, but nothing happened.

"It's protected by magic, but even I can't destroy it so don't ask me to try."

Wicked laughter was then heard from above them, the small group looked up at the three witches. Although Sage couldn't help but giggle upon seeing what her sisters had used at substitute brooms, Winnifred had found a normal brook, but Mary was using a vacuum and Sarah was using a mop.

"It's just a bunch of hocus pocus!" Winnie laughed. 

Sarah swung down to them. "Brave little virgin who lit the candle, I'll be thy friend."

Allison, who still had the branch in her hand, swung it at the witch. "Hey, take a hike!"

"Book!" Winnie said in a sing song voice.

Thackery and Sage launched forward, the cat landing on the book first before allowing Sage to pick it up. Winniefred stared at the two, almost shocked to see her sister was still alive after all this time.

"Thackery Binx, you feline! Still alive?"

"And waiting for you!"

"Thou hast waited in vain, and thou will fail to save thy friends just as thou failed to save thy sister!"

Winnifred swung down to the pair, but Sage wasted no time in swooping up Thackery and calling to the other three kids to follow her. They all stopped near a crypt as the witches waited in the sky, annoyed that they could do nothing.

"They can't touch us here, right?" Max asked.

"Well, they can't." Thackery said, looking at Sage.

Winnifred dropped lower, making eye contact with her sister. "My dear Sage, why are you against us? We are thou's sisters."

Sage shook her head. "I said thousands of times that I will never follow the magic you do."

"Then follow me!" Winnifred shot magic towards Sage, hoping to get her to fall under her curse of following orders but it seemed to bounce off her.

"It's been three hundred years, Winnie, I have learnt more about my magic and how to protect myself from yours."

Winnie huffed loudly but then a thought came into her mind. "Unfaithful lover long since dead. Deep asleep in thy wormy bed. Wiggle thy toes, open thine eyes, twist thy fingers towards the sky. Life is sweet, be not shy. On thy feet, so sayeth I!"

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me." Sage spoke, as the ground began to shake.

Not too long after, Billy burst from his coffin and stared at the group of kids, plus Sage and Thackery. He seemed very confused as to why he had been woken up from his death. Max, Danni and Allison let out a scream and ran off, Sage knew she would have to follow so she pointed to Billy's gravestone before running after the three, Thackery running by her feet.

Thackery got ahead of the group and led them to a space where they could hide, Sage almost left Max before she saw Billy behind him. She grabbed the scruff of Max's shirt and pulled him along, almost shoving him down the hole the girls and Thackery went down first. She followed and accidently landed on top of Max. The two looked at each other, a cough from a certain black cat caused Sage to very quickly get to her feet along with Max. 

"What is this place, Binx?" Max asked.

"It's the old Salem crypt. It connects to the sewer and up to the street. I've hunted mice down here for years."

Sage pulled a disgusted look. "You actually ate mice as a cat?"

Thackery stared at her. "I am currently a cat, of course I did. What would you have done?"

"Searched through bins, at least then I would have eaten human food."

The cat rolled his eyes and began to lead the group down the sewer in order to reach the street.