↳ chapter four

↳ let's build a time machine

after lunch and a few hours of playtime with morgan, the evening finally rolled around and pepper brought morgan to bed while evi and tony did the dishes.

they were silent, both hanging onto their own thoughts.

"look, i know it's-" evi had turned around to look at the man, but his eyes were occupied by something else. it was a picture frame that he held in hand and when she stepped next to him, she knew why he seemed so sad at the picture

it was a photograph of him and peter. standing together, making peace signs behind the others head. they looked like father and son

"it's cute" evi said, while they both looked at it

"every night i look at it and every night i wonder, if i could've done something different."

"it's not your fault"

"i'm not too sure about that. i was responsible for him. so many years and i still feel like i am"

"then why don't you try it?" evi said "i know scott sounds like a maniac, but he's actually pretty smart. and with his idea and your mind i'm sure we can work something out"

"evi-"

"i know you have much to loose, i know what that feels like. now i've got steve and you guys. and if you tell me it's right, then i'm gonna do it"

"it would never work"

"i wouldn't be too sure about that" evi smirked, intentionally waiting for that answer "you probably don't remember, because it was several years ago and you're very old"

"young lady!"

"my point is it worked before. i was there and you too. you did it, tony. you build a time machine" she paused "no, wait, i'm sorry.. you will build a time machine, steve told me that himself or i mean he will tell me... sorry it's really confusing"

"you're talking about-?"

"central park, strange's house, the spaceship... four years ago"

"it's in your past and in my future, but at the same time it's in my past too, because you told me about that"

"yes!" evi exclaimed

"and that means you were right all along"

"yes thank you! time doesn't change"

"the important thing is, that i cannot act like i remember that meeting. it could have huge effects and the outcome would be tremendous"

"that's what you said there too!"

"alright, evi maximoff, let's build a time machine"

building a time machine was much harder than evi had initially thought. of course she wasn't dumb, but it seemed like her brain just couldn't grasp the concept

or understand anything that tony had said the last twenty minutes she had watched him.

he had walked around the table. creating a  model of- she wasn't sure what it was, but it seemed to be important for the whole concept.

after another twenty minutes, tony gave her a pair of headphones and a tablet with netflix. he exclaimed that he couldn't think while she was being too loud and judgy- whatever that meant

only about ten minutes later evi heard a beep sound go off. she put down the headphones and turned in her seat to look at tony, who sunk to his stool slowly, mouth wide open, astonishment clear on his features.

evi stood up and walked to stand next to where he sat

"no!" she exclaimed shocked when she read the 3d writing in the air

model successful

she couldn't help but hug tony. "you're a genius!" she exclaimed happily

"i know" he laughed

they both kept a close look at the model, never changing their surprised and astonished facial expressions.

"shit" tony exclaimed finally

"shit" a voice repeated, which made them both look behind them.

morgan was sitting on the stairs, looking at her father and evi.

tony laid his finger onto his mouth and shook his head. "what are you doing up, little miss?"

"shit" morgan said again

"nope, we don't say that"

"it's a bad word, baby" said evi while she sat down beside the little girl

"only mommy says that word" tony added  "she coined it, it belongs to her"

"why are you up?" morgan asked

"cause i've got some important shit going on here"

morgan's face turned skeptical

"why do you think?" he asked "no i got something on my mind"

"was it juice pops?"

"please let it be juice pops" evi smiled

"sure was" tony mumbled "that's extortion, that's a word. what kind you want?" he paused, "great minds think alike, juice pops"

evi stayed downstairs, eating up her juice pop while tony went and brought morgan to bed.

she waited a while, lying on the couch, until tony came back and sat in front of the model again.

"are you going to bed? or are you still working?" she asked

"nah, i'll have to change some things, make it more convenient, safer" he explained

she nodded and laid her head on the armrest, watching him. "okay, i'll be right here if you need me" a yawn escaped her mouth

"alright, kiddo" tony smiled at the girl before he returned to his work. he was only focusing his thoughts on the model in front of him.

short filler chapter, i'm sorry guys :(

*