↳ chapter eight

↳ the team is back

less than a week after, the whole compound was busy building what had been tony's plan for a functioning time machine.

bruce had gotten thor, who was more than happy to see evi, even if he had been drunk and had lastly seen her eight years ago.

clint was happy too, even when it was harder for him to show that, evi knew though

"alright clint" bruce exclaimed "we're going in three, two, one"

clint disappeared, only to reappear in the middle of the platform about four seconds later. they all ran up to him, making sure he was alright

"you okay?" nat asked helping him back up to his feet.

"yeah, yeah" clint said "it worked"

———

"okay, so the how works. now we gotta figure out the when and the where. almost everyone in this room has had an encounter... with at least one of the six infinity stones"

"or substitute the word 'encounter' for 'damn near been killed' by one of the six infinity stones"

"yeah or given incredible powers by it" evi laughed sarcastically as all eyes went to her "but who's keeping count?" she muttered awkwardly

"well, i haven't.. but i don't even know, what the hell you're all talking about" scott said

"regardless" bruce walked forward "we only have enough pym particles for one round-trip each. and these stones have been in a lot of different places throughout history."

"our history" added tony "so, not a lot of convenient spots to just drop in, yeah?

"which means we have to pick our targets"

"correct"

"so let's start with the aether. thor what do you know?" steve asked

everyone turned to look at thor, who was sitting on a chair in the very back of the room.

"is he asleep?" asked nat

"no, no. i'm pretty sure he's dead"

thor stood up and walked towards the tech stuff. "uh, where to start? um.. the aether, firstly, is not a stone. someone called it a stone before. um, it's more of an angry sludge sort of a thing.. so someone gonna need to amend that and stop saying that. here's an interesting story, though, about the aether. my grandfather, many years ago, had to hide the stone from the dark elves.. oooh, scary beings. so jane actually, oh there she is"

he tapped the imaginary screen "yeah, so jane was an old flame of mine"
evi let her head sink into her hands, sighing deeply

"you know she stuck her head inside a rock this one time and then the aether stuck itself inside her and she became very very sick"

evi made a disgusted face

"and so i had to take her to asgard, which is where i'm from and we had to try and fix her. we were dating at the time, you see and i got to introduce her to my mother ... who's dead and, um, oh, you know, jane and i aren't even dating anymore, so.. yes these things happen though, you know. nothing lasts forever. the only thing that-"

"why don't you come sit down?" tony interrupted

"i'm not done yet" thor argued "the only thing that is permanent in life is impermanence" he laughed

tony clapped his hands "awesome. eggs? breakfast?"

"no i'd like a bloody mary"

an hour later they were all sitting at the conference table while they ate the takeout they had ordered.