↳ chapter thirteen

↳ brother knows best

wednesday

"hey" evi said when she sat down next to scott a little while later.

"hey" scott smiled back. "it's evi, right? our meeting was a bit short cutted"

"yeah, evi is right" she smiled "is it okay if i call you scott? i never really asked for permission"

"sure it is" scott laughed "i'm not that old"

"you aren't" evi nodded

"so you are related to both the maximoff children and captain america? how is that possible?"

"wanda and pietro were my siblings. i met steve a few years back...before us and the avengers were friends, i switched sides and got to know him, but then i died and now.. now i'm back and he adopted me, i guess we always had that kind of father-daughter-bond"

"oh, well" scott stuttered, clearly overthrown by all the information he had just learned "that's a lot. i only heard about you guys once in the news, and then later only about your sister.. i had figured you and your brother had maybe just stopped fighting"

"we didn't" evi send him a tight smile "my powers turned on me when i saw how my brother died and a part of me wanted to go too, i guess. my brother was my whole word. he and my sister were everything to me, and now they're both gone"

"that's terrible" said scott and evi felt understood by his fatherly gaze and warm smile. "but i think also that's what makes us all such a great team.. because we all lost something... someone because of thanos"

"who did you lose, scott?"

"my girlfriend and- and my daughter"

"i'm sorry" she patted his shoulder "we're gonna safe them. i'm sure we will, okay? and you don't know me for long, but just so you know- i'm never this optimistic normally. but tony, he's great, and bruce, they will work this out, i just know that okay? you can trust me. and even if i swore to never use them again, i will blast thanos into the next century with my powers if i ever see him again"

scott had to laugh at the girls excitement "it means a lot, to hear that from someone who knows what it feels like and someone who is not a typical superhero, just like i am"

———

scott and evi had walked back to the others together. while scott send her a wave and went to talk to bruce, steve walked up to evi.

"before you go home.. do you think you could maybe um talk to clint?"

"why? what's wrong with him?" evi asked, concerned

"nothing.. it's just.. he's taking this very hard. the thing with - nat. i tried talking to him but it was to no use. you're good with these kind of things.. you're..." he left the rest of the sentence hanging in the air, scared of finishing it

"..what? used to it by now? randomly losing people or thinking i'm at fault at it?"

"no that's not what i- i'm sorry, nana i didn't mean it like that" steve exclaimed slowly

"no, it's okay. i'm sorry, steve i know you didn't mean it like that. and sure i'll talk to clint. where is he?"

"thanks, sweetheart. he's- in nat's room, friday can help you finding that"

"see you later" she smiled while leaving and walking down the hallway, helped by friday who navigated her through the halls once again

when she stopped in front of nat's door, she knocked softly against the wood

"come in" clint said and evi put her finger up against the scanner and was quickly granted the access

"hey clint" she spoke softly, while sitting down besides the man on the floor at the end of the bed.

"hey" clint's voice was raspy. she knew immediately that he probably had been crying

"i'm not going to ask how you are.. eugh, i hate that question"

clint had to laugh a little.

"it's never easy. and it's never going to be easy. but it gets better, you learn to deal with it some day. your family can help you with that"

"my family is gone"

"yes, but we will bring them back. you know that bruce and tony are more than capable to do that"

"there might still be a fight we'll have to deal with. and maybe i won't survive"

"it's easy to take that route. i did take it and it's not hard, but what make it hard are the people you'll leave behind. you can't leave us, you can't leave your family.. not like that.. not.. willingly"

"how can you say that?" he asked "after all this time.. how can you still deal with that pain?"

"i can't" she answered honestly "but i have to"

"don't you feel like giving up?"

"all the time" evi sighed "but it never did anything for me, it just caused more pain for people i love. i know how that pain feels and i could never do that to someone again.. never. so i ask you to promise to do the same"

"it's tiring"

"i know, but it's worth fighting" evi assured "as i said, it won't feel like that forever, especially when you're able to get them back. don't let nat's sacrifice be worthless, rescue your family and return to them. watch them grow and be a good dad, that's all she would ask of you"

"i know" he sighed "i won't leave them, i promise and i will try to fight as good as i can. you're right i can't drown myself in pity anymore, that's not who i am or who i want to be"

"that's the spirit" evi smiled "now get up, old man and help us figure this out"

"just as rude as your brother" clint laughed "he'd be proud of you"

"learned from the best" evi grinned

*