Chapter Eight: Planning

"Well why don't we walk right into a trap while we're at it?" Schlatt sneered at Sam. Sam snarled in response, baring teeth as a threat.

"Watch it, war is my speciality."

"Your 'speciality' is protecting, dumbass! Not fighting! You don't know shit unless it's defense!"

"Oh, yeah? And you could do better? You've never fought a day in your life!"

"First, I never claimed I did. I just refuse to be killed because your dumbass refuses to get his head out of his ass and admits he knows nothing in this field! And at least I can shoot a gun, bastard." Sam gave a scowl in return before shooting back a response, the two officially entering a verbal fight. Everyone else stepped back, no daring to step in and play authority with their leader in the room.

Quackity nudged Wilbur, gesturing for him to take control. Your territory, your control, was the silent message. Show them you're in charge. Wilbur gave him a firm nod, showing gratitude in his eyes.

He took a minute to try to recall the Latin words he needed to know, as he was still struggling to learn. It wasn't as if he was free to speak Human Tongue—the name vampire call all of human languages—since the Shadows were present and wouldn't understand, and Tommy was just upstairs. Wilbur had been keeping an ear on him, as did several others, but if he just so managed to get close without them knowing, and they were speaking Human Tongue—they were done for.

"ENOUGH!" Wilbur snarled, and it worked immediately. All went quite, eyes widened and heads bowing in respect and fear, and the two arguing stopped and turned attention onto him.

"There is no need for arguing, it will only drive us apart when we need to unite to survive. The Essempi Coven is threatening everything we know, and you sit here arguing as if there is no time limit!" Schlatt's ears flickered, his eyes no longer meeting Wilbur's as Sam's head bowed in guilt and forgiveness. "I do not want there to be any more fighting, understood? I may be a Fledgling, but I'm your Mister's Fledgling, and this is my land. Here, I am in control. Understood?"

"Yes, Lord Soot," came the chorus. Wilbur nodded, accepting it and taking a step back to allow Quackity to regain control. When he looked at the man, he looked astonished and as if he had seen something amazing.

"Uh, Sire. You may retake control." Wilbur's words seemed to knock him out of the trance, causing him to clear his throat and take a step backwards. He was quick to act as if the awkwardness and silence had never happened.

"My Fledgling is right. He may be below me in ranks, but he's still my fledgling. He's higher than the rest of you, and this is his territory we are intruding upon. Wilbur is now as if another Mister, another leader of the Coven you will abide to as you will do me. I want to hear of no disrespect or disobedience to your Potentate."

Within the ranks of Fledglings, there's common names to the status of the young vampire. They weren't yet adult vampires and couldn't do anything except learn and adapt, so they couldn't be called by their Sires' titles. Therefor, years ago, they came up with statuses for Fledglings to let them know of their class without stating a job, generally just their power.

A Pleb was considered to be a fledgling of the lowest status—a Shadow's Fledgling. An Alumna was considered to be a Neonate's Fledgling, as they generally began learning their Sires' job towards the beginning to adulthood. A Rookie was an Ascendant's job, as they were generally entering service. A Valet claiming they belonged to the Ambassador, as did a Potentate for the Mister or Mistress.