Chapter Nine: First Appearance

"Quackity's going to be so fucking pissed," Schlatt grumbled to himself as they tressed through the empty town. Wilbur rolled his eyes.

"Oh, it'll be fine, Schlatt. I can stand him yelling at me for a bit on safety again."

"He won't yell at you, Virgo! It's myself I'm worried about! He's going to kill me for letting you leave the house!"

Wilbur smirked. "So what? You're afraid of the big–bad boss?"

"Shut the fuck up, stupid ass bitch!" Schlatt defended himself, playfully going to shove Wilbur as he laughed.

Schlatt backed off as Wilbur hissed instinctively, instincts taking control. "Stand down, Schlatt."

Schlatt obeyed, knowing the consequences of not doing otherwise. He'd once been a fledgling too, as was his son, and Charlie, and many others (Schlatt was one of the eldest vampires, his age being right up there with Quackity's own). "Sorry, my bad. Forgot."

Wilbur nodded, breathing slowly as his instincts subsided. "It's fine. Sorry for snapping."

Schlatt shrugged. "Eh, no big deal. Not like you could really control it. And no worries, I was way worse, and so was Quackity. I feel bad for our Sires." He chuckled a bit at the end, trying to ease the conversation into something more lighthearted.

Unfortunately for Schlatt, Wilbur was curious.

"Oh. What happened to them?"

Schlatt's breathing hitched, steps faltering before continuing. "Left us."

"Oh." It was all Wilbur could conjure up at the moment, surprised by his words. Then he felt his stomach turn with guilt—he hadn't meant to force Schlatt to speak of a bad memory. "Sorry."

The man sighed. "Nothing to do about it now. We're so much better off now, anyway. I guess we were just to much to handle," he tried to joke. Wilbur decided to entertain him, forcing a low chuckle to be released.

They walked in an awkward, tense silence for about an hour, getting their supplies without much change, until a voice broke it.

"Schlatt!" a loud, angry, Irish female voice screamed suddenly. Their heads snapped to show Minx yelling through her house window, some of the other members of the friend group laughing inside.

It was then that she realized Wilbur was present.

"Wilbur? Schlatt, you jackass! You took him into public with the Essempi Coven around? Get your asses in here!"

Schlatt groaned, annoyed, but obeying nevertheless. Wilbur muttered about alerting Quackity and a few others to decrease stress and worry, fishing out his phone and trying to hurry before they reached the building. Neither really needed them to see his phone and get curious, so he made sure he turned it off as they reached the top step of the porch. They were let in without hesitation, though none gave them permission to enter, so they remained put.

"You guys can come in, y'know," Ted spoke up, confusion and amusement on his face. "You don't have to wait for permission—well, at least you, Schlatt."

He wasn't the owner of the house.

He glanced at Schlatt, muttering something low to keep the humans' ears from catching it. "Have you never been here?"

"No. Minx moved a bit back, I haven't gotten around to visiting. We're making ourselves pretty fuckin' obvious just standin' here, Virgo. It's your call, remember?"

Wilbur sighed, going to answer until the group came to the front door. They all had befuddlement on their faces, obviously trusting Schlatt incredibly much by how they have no suspicion. It also may help since everyone knows vampires to be ruthless and feral—which they are, but we're also incredibly cunning and great actors, so acting human is no real big issue.