four.

- AN EYE FOR AN EYE -

  UPON sailing to Driftmark, they arrived on the morning of. The rest of their family was already there, lingering through the halls. Aemond had approached dressed in Hightower green, as usual. "It has not been long," Elaena smiled slightly.

"Only a number of weeks. I was actually going to write, as I think my father would be alright with you staying in King's Landing."

"I don't understand. My mother needs me on Dragonstone."

"I need you in King's Landing."

Elaena paused a moment, harboring a small frown. "I'll consider it."

Aemond nodded and left to find his mother. Elaena had joined her own immediate family, heading out to where the funeral was held.

Vaemond Velaryon spoke in Valyrian tongue as they prepared the coffin of Laena to return to the sea. On one side of Elaena stood Laenor and the other Aegon, who struggled to stand still.

"Salt courses through Velaryon blood," Vaemond spoke, "Ours runs thick. Ours runs true. And ours must never thin." The man eyed her brothers and her. The girl glared back, narrowing her own eyes as Aegon glanced down at her.

Suddenly, Daemon Targaryen began to laugh. Everyone's attention had focused on him for a moment before Vaemond continued. Aegon wiggled around on his feet, rocking back and forth while blowing air from his mouth. Elaena nudged him with her elbow and he looked down in shock, but the girl didn't even glance his way.

The coffin was pulled into the sea, crashing to the surface and sinking to the bottom.

...

AFTERWARD, everyone gathered on a balcony overlooking the sea. Elaena was unfamiliar with High Tide, the seat of the Velaryons. For this, the girl stood alone overlooking the sea before her beside Jace. "Have you seen your father?" Rhaenyra approached. "Your little cousins have lost their mother. They could use a kind word."

"I have an equal claim to sympathy," Jace complained. "After what happened at Harrenhal with Sir Harwin."

"I told you not to behave inappropriately. The Velaryons are our kin and the Strongs are not." Jace looked away from his mother. "Look at me. Do you understand?"

Jace nodded and Rhaenyra stood back up, nudging the boy toward his cousins. Elaena stood rooted in place. "Even you?" Rhaenyra asked.

"I will later, I promise."

"Too many promises will get you in trouble, little dragon. Just behave yourself." Rhaenyra placed a firm hand on her shoulder, squeezing tight before remaking her way into the crowd of people. There was something special about a mother's first child, and due to this Elaena got away with almost anything.

The girl only had one moment of peace before Daemon Targaryen approached. "You're a spitting image of your mother," Daemon spoke to her.

"Thank you," Elaena answered politely. For only a moment did she glance up toward his face and notice his nose. The nose resembled her own, and Elaena could not bare to see his face anymore. "My condolences for your late wife, but I must be going."

"Of course," Daemon extended a hand for her to leave and the girl walked along the edge of the walls, waiting until he focused on something else to stop in place once more.

Only another moment of peace before Aegon approached with two goblets. "You have rather long legs," Aegon spoke, handing her a cup. The girl took it, placing it at the top of the wall.