six.

- SUCCESSION -

WHEN news arrived of a challenge to Luce's claim to Driftmark, they declared they would return to King's Landing. She rode upon dragon back, flying around the ship as it sailed to the city. When the Red Keep appeared in view, Elaena rushed forward ahead of her family. She rounded the tall towers before heading to the pit, where Arrax would reside for the time being. There was much less freedom in the city for dragons.

When they landed at the pit, Arrax begrudgingly entered the building, disappearing down the slope. The girl called for a carriage and one was brought swiftly, taking her toward the Keep. The city looked the same as it had many years ago when she was just a girl. King's Landing felt trapped in time with the same faces.

The doors to the main courtyard opened for her and she walked through to find her two brothers messing with weapons. "What are you two doing?" Elaena asked.

"Everyone's staring at us," Luce said. "No one would question me being heir to Driftmark if I looked more like Sir Laenor Velaryon than Sir Harwin Strong."

"It doesn't matter what they think," Jace leaned in.

"He's right. We're closer to Gods than we are to men, that's why they stare," Elaena placed a hand on both of her brothers' shoulders.

Behind them, cheering began around a circle of two individuals fighting and Jace gave Luce a grin before leading him to the fight. Elaena lingered back for a moment until she discovered who was fighting. Aemond Targaryen and Sir Criston Cole were dueling together, and Elaena noticed how much he changed over the years.

His hair was grown out, and now he was much taller than her despite them being of equal age. Everything about him appeared older than her, including the eye patch covering the space where Luce took his eye.

Elaena approached to watch and when Luce recognized who it was, he took a few steps back. Aemond eventually won and Sir Criston praised, "Well done, Prince. You'll win tourneys in no time."

"I don't give a shit about tourneys. Nephews, have you come to train?" Aemond looked at the two boys. The three siblings all turned their heads when the gates opened once more and Vaemond Velaryon entered the yard. Surrounding him were knights holding the Velaryon sigil, and he did not bother to look over at them.

"Let's go find, mother," Elaena placed a smile on her face. "We will need to look prepared for the court tomorrow and I'm still in my riding clothes."

"Of course," Luce nodded, still staring at the empty space where Vaemond once stood. He had always been bothered by the idea of him being a bastard. Ever since Aemond broke his nose and told him he was the son of Harwin Strong, the boy never shook the words.

...

  THE next morning Elaena got up early, dressing in a blood-red gown. It would contrast the green the Queen's children wore ever since they were young, a show of who was the true heir of House Targaryen. A knock sounded at her door and her mother peered in. "Are you ready?" Rhaenyra asked her daughter.

Elaena nodded and followed her, her brothers, and her dad down toward the throne room. Edric had joined, dressed in black and walked behind Elaena. The doors had opened for them, and Vaemond Velaryon along with the royal family already occupied their spaces in the room. Rhaenyra and Daemon led the way with Elaena walking on her mother's left.