Activated

"The key to being a successful agent," Joshua Hallal announced, "Is to cut off all others. Let no room for emotion."

I grimaced. My face hardened like a rock. I wondered if this was truly inevitable. Erica, Joshua, Cyrus. All of them had reached the level of a superspy by allowing their hearts to freeze, letting past no emotion. Even with the serum flowing through my body, this painfully horrible step was needed for my mission.

"Although," Joshua continued, "in some cases, a lie of a personality may be required. As you see, Ripley, Agent Hale has achieved this in circumstances her grandfather could not even achieve. For this mission, there will be a need for you to return to the trait of your old self. Friendly. Having a top-notch brain of yours, but still being precariously stupid."

Closing my heart from emotions was an easier step- from the past betrayals of my friends, this was something that the CIA had already caused, for the benefit of SPYDER and me. I finally realized, as rage simmered through my eyes, what Erica Hale had meant. It was for the protection of the user; without emotion, you could never be hurt. This was valuable and a key step to being an undercover agent; if you let any emotions past you, there was a colossal threat to jeopardizing the mission, as I had learned in my past mission at Vail Colorado, but had been foolish enough to never embrace it. 

The serum had a severe effect on my personality as well. Now I was more of the unemotional superspy Erica Hale was. This troubled me; to be successful in Operation Sneaky Tiger, I needed to be my old self. This was harder than what Erica had done. Her, nobody knew about her friendly and childish personality. Me, when I go to the academy again, I had to replicate an exact trait of my old self. Foolish, full of emotion, and most importantly, having a monumental crush on Erica.

"I understand," I said calmly. Inside, I was not. There was a conflict between my old self and the new beast that the serum had created. I brushed off this thought and spat it on the ground. Unlike before, I had a newfound feeling for Erica. Hate. Rage. Resentment. It would be extremely difficult to replicate my old feelings for Erica Hale, and if I failed, I wondered if SPYDER would have any mercy. 

"You will be reinstated at the Academy of Espionage tomorrow. Prepare to leave at 0500." Joshua Hallal announced. There was a stony accent to his voice. Before I was activated, Joshua had been more joking and non-serious. This time, he was real. If I had failed... God, who knows what will happen?

I couldn't get the sleep that day. I was going to meet my old friends; people who had betrayed me, knowing to the full extent of their minds that what they were stating was a lie. Holding myself from thrashing out with my anger, holding myself from hurting them was a pain. Befriending them was something I wasn't sure I could handle.

My clock beeped loudly, indicating it was time for me to leave. I gathered myself, picked up my suitcase, and headed out. Joshua was already waiting for me, standing in front of a luxurious, polar white limousine. I wondered how I had gotten myself into such luxury. Just years ago, I would have thought I was the golden boy by having a trip in my neighbor's 2002 Mercedes that was beaten down and weathered from years of use.  

I stepped into the long, vertical vehicle, unprepared for what was to come. 

I could've stopped then. With my superhuman abilities, I could have easily demolished Joshua and the SPYDER agents in a fight. I could have run, ignored my horrendous decisions of the past, and led a normal life.

But my hatred fueled me, and I was blinded by it. 

The story might get a little dark in the next chapter.