Life is a Competition

I stand at the other end of the room. You announce to the person you are talking to, that they get the position I have been longing for, for some time now.

I don't say anything. You don't see how I react. Though I don't react negatively, I react with grace. You wouldn't have known how much of a stab that felt. I am happy for him... I really am. I am happy about his success. I don't begrudge. But I still feel hurt. But I smile anyways.

And you think, just because he did two more extracurriculars means he gets it over me? How, even though he passed this one examination- more like blew it out of the water- he gets it. While I have been passing all of them

I don't think you realize how hard I have worked to get to where I am.

Years of my life dedicated.

Hours upon hours of staying after work, after closing, to get good at what I do.

Hours of sleep lost. Just to compete. 

hours of reading. Not books. But the rule book. To understand it. To know it better than anyone. Most don't know all of it. But I do. I even read it for fun.

I was always, and still currently at my top-notch- the top of my game- and though there have been some falters, some slip-ups, I continued to bring my best foot forward.

I don't know if this is wishful thinking, but, oh how hard I worked. I worked hard. And for what? To what cause? I certainly didn't win.

But I smile anyway, for I will end up on top.

Life is a competition. And I am going for number one.