Chapter 12 - Eddie

Sorry if the formatting is off!
**should be all fixed! :)
--

The sound of the town clock tower rang through the silent, chilled night air. The wind had been stolen away and the budding trees stood till where they were rooted. I watched as the sky above me spun, the full moon moving in small oval shapes around the sky as if it were trying to examine me from every angle. It finally stopped in its place and stared down at me. I imagined it to be disappointed in me and it was slowly giving up, hiding behind the wayward clouds that were now beginning to drift from the sky to protect the moon from the horror show that had happened only moments before.

The ground had been icy but now my body was numb to the dead blades of grass and dirt. Catherine had passed over me, looking down with a black smile on her face before she disappeared and I fainted from fear. Eddie's low laugh had filled the air before the silence took over and now I stayed still, calm and afraid at the same time. I wanted to stay here as long as I could and take in the quiet because something inside of me just knew that once I stood up and walked back towards the house, there would never be silence again.

I gripped my hand down to the grass only to find I couldn't feel it. It was no wonder I couldn't feel the icy air anymore.

Guilt finally settled inside of my stomach and made me stand up, turning towards the woods that led back towards the backyard of the house. I walked along slowly as I caught figures out of the corners of my eyes, moving slowly through the forest as if they were floating. Some called out to me and I recognized their voices.

There was nothing else I could do but ignore them for the moment especially once I got closer to home. Then I began to run as panic set in and I realized the silence had taken them over too.

The backyard was empty of life except for the bonfire that began to die from abandonment. It lit up the yard long enough for me to survey the disturbing imagery around me. Food had been dropped quickly out of panic and drinks were spilled. I played the scream I had heard before Eddie had dropped me to the ground like a bag of bricks and I started to believe it hadn't been my own.

I shook against the light breeze that danced through the yard and wrapped itself around me. My eyes became teary when I saw there were no lights on inside of the house. My own fears made me look away and my eyes landed on the Michealson's across the road. Their lights were off, except for a small flickering coming from their front window. I lost myself in thought for the moment, wondering how they were seemingly unbothered by everything happening just across the road from them.

I was almost tempted to walk right down there and knock on their door to ask for help. They were elderly and Mrs. Michealson walked with a bad limp. I'd been seeing her use a walker as of lately and Mr. Michaelson shuffled when he walked. The last thing they needed was to be worrying about a bunch of criminals.

I forced myself to look back to the house and I started to shake. A feeling of dread sat in my stomach as I forced my heavy legs to start towards the side door. Slowly I made my way towards the stairs and tried to peek inside the panes of the door to see if anything could be seen at all. The lack of windows in the kitchen made it impossible for the flickering bonfire to illuminate anything.

The loose doorknob clattered as my shaky hand wrapped around it and turned it. I pushed the door open as quietly as possible and slowly slid inside of the pitch black house, the only light now coming through the large dining room windows across the way. To my left the dim streetlight outside shone through the drapes of the living room no one ever used, creating a haunting orange glow onto the objects in its path. The kitchen remained dark as if it were warning me.

"Gregory..." I said under my breath, finding that I was too scared to start to walk. A small single knock answered me back from somewhere across the house, either in the main parlor or the dining room. I caught my breath in my chest quickly but the fear had me past the point of alertness. I just brushed it off and focused back on where I wanted to go. I needed to get to the staircase.