Prologue

(Above is a quote and reasoning from Bernard's actor on why he wasn't in the third film)

"Bernard!" Y/N called. "Where are you?"

Y/N dashed around the workshop, looking for her elf boyfriend, wondering where he could possibly be. "Hey, have you seen Bernard?"

"No, sorry,"

"Have you seen Bernard?"

"Not since yesterday,"

Y/N let out a groan. "Has anyone seen Bernard?"

"Check with Curtis," Judy suggested, as she walked by holding a tray of hot cocoa.

"Thanks, Judy!" Y/N beamed, before running off to find Curtis. She figured he would be with Santa and if not, he'd be taking care of some sort of elf-y business.

"Curtis! Curtis!" Y/N called.

"Looking for Bernard?" A voice asked from behind her. She spun around to make eye contact with Curtis.

"Oh!" Y/N exclaimed. "Yes, actually."

"He's in the candy house," Curtis informed.

Y/N furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "You mean the place that toy Santa trapped us in a few years ago?" Curtis nodded. "Why would he be in there?"

Curtis smiled. "Why don't you go find out?"

"Why are you acting weird?" Y/N asked.

"I'm not," Curtis denied. "Why are you acting so skeptical?"

Y/N rolled her eyes and rushed past Curtis, leaving the workshop and making her way to small candy store. She stood in front of it, taking in the view and the deliciously sweet smell of candy.

Seeing the house should've brought back traumatic memories. But, it didn't. All she could remember was cuddling with Bernard and the way he would assure her and whisper sweet nothings in her ear.

She twisted the mint knob and opened the door. The house hadn't changed since she had last been in it. The candy still looked fresh as ever, not stale or molded. Still edible.

"Bernard?" She called. "Curtis said you would be in here."

"For once, Curtis was right," Bernard spoke from behind her. She turned, seeing him standing behind a candy cane pole, which must've been what kept her from seeing him when she first walked in.

"Where have you been?" Y/N asked with an exasperated sigh. "I've been looking all over for you! Dad says-"

"Your dad can wait," Bernard said.

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "Keep in mind, that's your boss, Mr. Head Elf."

Bernard stifled a laugh. "I don't think he'd mind it for an occasion like this."

Y/N grinned. "And, what occasion would that be?"

Bernard reached into his pocket and pulled out a small present, wrapped with a pretty F/C bow. "I know it's not Christmas, yet. But, I couldn't wait. I want you to open your gift now."

"Aw, Bernard," Y/N gushed. "Are you sure?"

"Positive," Bernard nodded as he placed the present into her hand.

"As you wish," Y/N said. She carefully pulled the bow, unraveling the ribbon in the process. After removing the wrapping paper, a white box was left. She opened the box, the anticipation eating at her.

She was breath-taken by the gorgeous ring that occupied the box. The jewel was encased in a diamond shape and the silver paired perfectly with the red ruby.