3.

"Uncle Scott is here!" Lucy exclaimed as she ran into the living room. Neil, Laura, and Charlie were all decorating the Christmas tree and were startled when they saw Lucy run past them and towards the front door.

"Lucy!" Laura called as she ran to the coat rack and grabbed everyone's jackets. "Coat!"

Lucy stopped and turned back around, allowing her mom to help her with her pink coat. Once they were all ready, they left through the front door. Lucy ran ahead of the others, eager to see Santa/Scott.

"Uncle Scott!" Lucy exclaimed.

"Hey, Luce!" Uncle Scott beamed. Lucy jumped and engulfed him in a hug. "Just like magic. You have the warmest hugs in the world."

"Hi, Comet!" Lucy greeted as she ran over to pet her favorite reindeer.

"Hey, son," Scott hugged Charlie.

"Hi, Dad," Charlie returned the hug. He missed his Dad and his sister. He wondered where she was, but supposed that she was busy up at the Pole with Bernard, which is why she couldn't come. "I missed you so much."

"Hi," Scott said to Laura.

"A few days early, aren't you?" Laura asked as the two of them exchanged hugs. "Isn't that baby due any moment?"

"Oh, we got lots to talk about," Scott informed. He turned to Neil, who had his arms open for a hug. Scott denied the attempt and instead gave him a firm handshake. "Hey, Neil. That's a...That's a good-looking sweater vest."

"It's reversible!" Neil said, joy evident on his face, as he lifted the sweater to reveal the other side.

"Of course it is," Scott nodded, not nearly as impressed as Neil was. "Let's go inside."

"Lucy, come on," Laura urged.

***

"Look at that, it's snowing in Hawaii," Scott pointed out. Lucy sat in front of him showing off her snow globe collection.

"Yeah," Lucy began. "It's not really magical like the one Charlie has, but I love it." She turned the put it back on top of the fireplace. "And now I have 12. See?"

"You know, I have quite the snow globe collection myself." Scott said as Lucy sat back down in front of him. Scott turned to Charlie. "Son, how's Daniel doing?"

"Good," Charlie answered. Daniel was one of his closest friends. "Thanks for letting me go snowboarding with him and his parents for Christmas."

"You're welcome," Scott nodded. "Hey, I brought you something." Scott stood and went over to his bag. It was smaller than his Christmas bag, but still magical. "Just a little thing." He proceeded to dig around inside. "Oh, boy. What a mess in here. There we are." Scott pulled out a wooden snowboard. "Wedged behind a wheelbarrow."

"Dad! That's awesome!" Charlie said with a smile as he graciously took his Dad's gift.

"Thank goodness it wasn't a car," Neil joked.

"Thanks, Dad," Charlie said. "Wow, this is beautiful."

Lucy picked up Scott's bag and tried to stuff herself inside, but it clearly wasn't working. "Lucy, sweetheart, what are you doing? Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Come on out. Come out here. Get out of the bag."

"Why can't I fit inside?" Lucy asked in disappointment.

"It takes a lot of practice," Scott answered.

"I wish I could come to the North Pole with you," Lucy said. "I could help Carol a lot and she loves me."

"That's true," Laura said. Her eyes lit up as an idea entered her head. "And hey, maybe I should be the one there for Carol. You know?" Lucy had her back turned and was looking at her mom. Scott took that moment to make a 'no' motion at Laura, but she didn't seem to get it. "I mean, another mom. I could... I could help. Hey, maybe-"