4.

"Did you bring the deep-dreamin' stuff?" Scott asked Sandman as the two of them walked up the garage of Carol's parents home.

"Got it," Sandman nodded as he touched his pant pocket.

"It's important they sleep and dream they're on a wonderful flight to Canada." Scott said.

"I'm with the program," Sandman said.

"Good,"

"I may be sleepy, but I'm not stupid," Sandman defended.

"Yeah, well, take the hat off," Scott said, gesturing to Sandman's nightcap.

"I get sniffly without my cap," Sandman groaned. Scott gave him a look. "OK, OK"

"Hey, Dad?" Scott greeted as he walked into the garage.

Carol's dad, Bud, turned around. "Scott Calvin, as I live and breathe. Good thing you called. Otherwise I don't know if I would've recognized you."

"It's me, good old Scott Calvin," Scott chuckled.

"You're starting to look a little like Father Time," Bud joked.

"He doesn't look anything like Father Time," Sandman said, clearly offended by the so-called joke.

"Oh. That's a nice door," Scott changed the subject, referencing to the door that Bud was making.

"Well, thank you," Bud said. "Yeah. It was a little sticky, but smooth as a baby's butt now. Come, take a feel."

"Oh, why not, huh?" Scott said as he felt the door. "Look at that. Very butt-like."

"Who's your pal?" Bud asked.

"Sandy," Scott answered. "This is my associate. He'll be taking us to the airport."

"An associate?" Bud asked. "Business must be good."

"Busy as usual."

"So busy you can't bring our daughter to visit her mother and father?" Bud asked.

Before Scott could think of a response, Carol's mom walked into the garage. "Scott. Oh, so nice to see you."

"You too, Sylvia."

"And your friend?" Sylvia asked.

"Sandy." Sandman introduced.

"Sandy, nice to meet you." Sylvia greeted. "Do you know how excited we were to get your phone call? See, we get so few, and each one is special. Oh, come on, you guys, you'll catch pneumonia out here."

***

"It's so wonderful to have you all here," Sylvia said.

Sandman caught sight of a tiny Christmas tree that the couple owned. "Festive."

"Easy," Scott whispered.

"Please, please sit down," Sylvia said, as she gestured to the couch. Sandman was about to comply, but Scott stopped him.

"Oh, no, no, no. No," He began. "We gotta get to the airport. Kind of a hurry. Let's get your bags and pop 'em in the car."

"I'm almost packed," Sylvia said.

"Great!"

"Just throw my underwear in a bag," Bud said. "It's not like we're going to the North Pole."

Sandman chuckled at that.

"It's cold in Canada," Sylvia pointed out

"Well-"

"Remember when we went to Yosemite?" Sylvia asked.

"Oh, here we go, Yosemite again," Bud sighed, with a roll of his eyes.

"It was freezing and there were bears," Sylvia said.

"You never left the lodge!" Bud stated.

"Because it was freezing,"

"And there were bears?"

"Yes! And it was freezing." Sylvia stood up, as their argument got more heated. Scott made hand gestures, trying to stop the fight, but they paid him no mind.

"It was freezing weather?"

"It was in the freezing weather."

"Let me try to understand," Bud began. "You did not enjoy the trip to Yosemite?"

"You heard me!" Sylvia said.

"I heard you!"

"POOF!" Sandman shouted as he blew his deep-dreamin' powder at the angry couple. The two of them fell back on the couch in a deep slumber.

Scott gave a look to Sandman. "What?"

"What part of our plan was not clear?" Scott asked. "Let's put them to sleep when they get into the car."

"I'm sorry," Sandman apologized. "I just couldn't stand to hear the Yosemite story anymore."

"OK. So let's figure how we'll get them in the car," Scott said. "We'll both..." Sandman put his cap back on and curled up on a chair. He quickly fell asleep. "Sandman, what are you doing? What? Sandman. Sandman! Great, Now, I get to throw his underwear in a bag."

***

Back at the Pole, Carol was looking at Christmas trees. She always picked out the tree for her and Scott. But, the expectations were even higher this year, because her parents were coming. She wanted a tree that her parents would love, as well. They weren't really the holiday type, especially her dad.

"Hey, Mrs C. What're you doing?" Jack asked, appearing next to her.

"Oh, hi, Jack," Carol said. "I'm just trying to pick a tree that the whole family will love."

"Ah, family," Jack sighed dreamily. "You know, I cannot imagine how hard it must be keeping such a big secret from your folks."

"Oh, you have no idea," Carol giggled.

"Tell me, Mrs Claus..." Jack started. "...being legendary by marriage, do you ever find yourself wondering if it's all really worth it?"

"Well, it's definitely worth it," Carol said.

"I'm sure dropping your life, schlepping all the way to the North Pole has been totally worthwhile," Jack nodded.

"Yeah,"

"Probably not one iota, not even a scintilla, of regret?" Jack asked.

"Not one,"

"Yeah,"

Carol looked at the tree in front of her, Jack catching sight of it too. "Look at that. Oh, dear. A little sad, neglected maybe. Just needs a little tender, loving, care that nobody's bothering to give, don't you think?"

"It's perfect," Carol nodded. "I will give you all the TLC that you need." Carol said to the tree. "Scott loves decorating the tree." Carol said. "He always insists on putting the tree topper on himself."

"Ho ho ho!"

"They're here!" Carol beamed.

(Hope you enjoyed it! As always have a good day/night! TOODLES!!!)