Prologue - 5 Years Earlier

Pangs of hunger gnaw at my gut as I pull the too-small hoodie tighter around my body. It's not much against the cold of a British winter, and my latest growth spurt (thanks a lot hormones) means it no longer zips over my chest.

I need some warmer clothes before it gets any colder. If two years on the streets have taught me anything, it's that the weather is the thing most likely to kill me. My stomach rumbles as if to remind me that starvation features high on that list too. I need money and I need it quickly.

I've been following this mark for almost twenty minutes now and he only glanced back once in that time. The slap of my worn-down converses pulled his attention just long enough to confirm I was nothing but a non-threatening teenage girl, and not whatever caused that initial spark of fear in his eyes.

He's about sixteen, just a couple of years older than me. Well off from what I can see. All his clothes are the correct size for his body and in designer labels I could only dream of owning. A bag containing what looks to be an expensive laptop swings from his shoulder, and his wallet is just visible out of the top of his coat pocket. His attention is so focused on the brick-like phone in his hands, and I can only assume he is following some sort of map.

His lack of awareness of his surroundings is his biggest mistake, after coming to this area that is. Men always make much easier targets. They lack that sense of awareness and natural fear when out that women have. Even as I follow him, my own eyes constantly search the empty streets for signs of dangers stalking me.

A shiver of foreboding runs through me, and I get the sense that something is coming. I walk faster now, softening the sound of my steps by walking on the grass verge. Get something and get out. I can't decide which is easier. His laptop or his wallet.

The laptop would be a quick sale and more money, but it's higher risk as he would definitely notice and could give chase. It's hard to tell under his coat whether his physique is built for running but, given the fact he has a fair few more meals in him than me, I don't like my odds.

The wallet is easier and definitely full. Mind made up, I lengthen my stride, almost alongside him now. It all happens so quickly.

My arm brushes his and I fake a stumble, mumbling an apology. His hand shoots out to steady me, but I dance out of reach. "Sorry."

"It's ok." His reply is soft and his smile open and genuine.

I try not to focus on the kindness in those pretty brown eyes as I smile back before hurrying ahead. I need to get out of here before he notices it's gone.

"Hey!"

His shout confirms my appropriation of his wallet did not go unnoticed and I speed up to a light jog. "Stop!" He calls out and I can hear the thud of his steps as he gives chase.

As I reach the corner, I dare to glance back. He's running at me, the air fogging with his breath which is coming in heavy pants now. I am just about to continue my escape when I see something move behind him and my whole-body freezes.

I've lost it. Finally, after years on the streets, my mind has given up on reality and decided to make shit up.

The boy seems to notice I've stopped running from him and my attention is elsewhere. He turns and lets out a curse as he spots the huge figure looming behind him.

I frown. If he can see it, then does that mean the creepy thing surrounded by a cloud of black fog is not a hallucination? Too big to be any man, it glides forwards, lower body undulating like a snake with the movement.

I can't see what's under the hood it's wearing, but I have a strong feeling I'm not going to like it. Willing myself to cut the fascination with whatever this thing in our shared delusion is, I try to run, but my feet won't move, and a weird feeling vibrates in my throat.