The Song of the Spring 🝮

In the frozen arc of Winter is when the melody can be heard. The tragically alluring song that has been played since time itself. Many will hear it, many will not. And those who do hear the song may allow for it to make them ill- allow for it to destroy them.

To where the ancient forest meets its end; to the still lake on the threshold of the snow-capped mountains is where the girl dances to the tune. The girl who never found her way. The song was hollow, albeit full of fruitless desperation. The rhythm to which she twisted and turned carried the deepest of miseries, the light of the world never dared touch her as if it were too afraid.
So there she danced, feeling only the absence of emotion as she twirled upon the lake's surface. The bitter winds seemed to fuel her movements and the dim sky promised no reprieve.
The song and dance continued without cease, time seemingly no longer existing within the daze she had found herself wrapped in. Who was she? When and how had she become so lost that she found herself here, trapped within this never ending ballad?
The creature with a form as black and dark as the void itself lurked somewhere. Whether it was beside her, below her, or not there at all- she knew it took wicked delight in her trance. The souls of the lost rippled around her like reeds in the water. Many of whom had followed the dismal tune and fell ill to the Winter's blue. They moved as if they were the harrowing music itself, weaving through the trees and infecting the world.
And the girl, she had surrendered to it. Allowed it to use and control her. Her flame had burnt out, and she couldn't endeavour rekindling it.

Until the day when something had shifted. As if there was a sudden slackening of the ropes that had encompassed her like a marionette, her rhythm faltered as she felt the sunlight kiss her skin. The sweet and heavy smell of the magnolias filled her nose as she took a breath and blinked, her moving limbs slowing to a halt. The air around her was slightly frosty, however, she could feel it. And it was in that particular moment she realised, she could feel.
The girl's feet broke the water's surface and consequently she fell through. She sank into the icy lake, water swiftly threading through her clothing and biting at her skin. The cold water gave a promise of death if she didn't do anything. Willing herself to rise, she began kicking madly until her head emerged from the depths, dark hair plastering to her head. She blinked the water from her eyes as she took in her surroundings. It was beautiful. What lay bordering around herself in the lake was beautiful. And the music, it was slowly fading away into nothingness. No sign of anyone else, no sign of the creature of darkness and shadows- unless perhaps she dared look beneath her feet.
Suddenly needing to be free of the water, she swam towards the shallow. Her breath sawed through her rasping lungs as she kicked and pulled her way to land. Hauling herself onto the mossy rocks that harboured the lake, she sat within her sodden clothing and peered around. 'How much time had passed?' was the very first thought that had crossed her mind; for the land was nearly as she remembered on the fateful day that she had caved, even so there was one slight difference. Spring had come. Barely, but there was considerable evidence of its recent arrival. The trees had begun budding again, the small splashes of green floating high up on the deep umber branches. And amongst those ancient trees were a handful of magnolias. The beautiful, saturated gradients of pink flowers blossoming wildly upon the tree's outstretched limbs. Life seemed to flourish and awaken again; a range of brilliant birds singing merrily, wild flowers blooming on the forest floor like a sea of splattered paint, and of course, the wonderful sunshine which chased away the cold that had crept into her bones.

This was life that was suddenly continuing on as if nothing ever happened. The greatest and most miraculous wonder to be granted. No longer were the miserable, wintry winds. No longer was there absence of life amongst the natural world. It was over at last.
The girl was free of the Winter's grasp, free of its woeful song. In this new world, she took the very first deep breath and rose to her feet. Overlooking the once again still lake, she bade her goodbye to the Winter, to the snow-capped mountains and to the icy lake...
...And allowed herself to follow the new song that beckoned her through the forest. The sweet and soft song of rebirth. Of relief and hope. Of freedom and revival.

The song of the Spring.

it's me! some facts about this story:
i actually wrote this one for an english assignment and ended up super proud of it. as you might have noticed, it is a kind of allegory which determines the impact of seasonal depression. i wrote this during the winter as i found myself in a cold part of my life, and was awaiting for the day spring would return to me and i would feel happy again.
another contributing factor which lead me to write this story is i was noticing a lot of loss around me; and so the songs spring day by bts - as well as my lack of emotion representing black swan also by bts were constantly playing over and over in my mind, the lyrics resonating heavily with my being. i could honestly write whole essays on what these songs mean- (maybe i should ;) i wrote this with elements of each of the music videos as inspiration also. it is a piece i may always cherish.