Chapter 13 - Gisella

Chapter 13: Gisella

Palace of the Centauri Throne: Kingdom of Karil

Gisella had always expected that the heir of King Maurin might play a part in the destruction of the respectability of Karil and the overall disillusionment with power.

She just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Gisella had been gone for one night. One night since the new king's public declaration that his men were hunting his father's assassin for execution. One day since Nicolas had looked into her eyes and proclaimed his hatred for everything that she was, everything that she had ever been. And already she was returning from a night spent on horseback to find a palace in complete disarray.

Most of the nobility had departed. Now that a succession plan was firmly in place and Nicolas' ass was firmly on the throne, they had returned to their country estates and landholdings to spread the news of the new king and prepare themselves for a coronation. What remained at court now were the spoiled spawns of wealthy lords and overzealous ladies. Men and women Nicolas' own age crowded the halls as Gisella breezed past. In the dining hall, Lord Nordheim's son had a scantily dressed prostitute bent over a barrel of ale. Ladies gossiped in every corner, prostitutes led little lordlings to and fro by their shirt collars, casks emptied faster than new ones could be found. It was utter debauchery.

Gisella's temper rose as she stormed through the crowded halls, pushing aside the writhing bodies in her search for the one who had undoubtedly started this mess. She found him, unsurprisingly, on the throne. With a barely dressed redhead on his lap and a sloshing goblet of wine in his hand. They glared at one another, his hand lingering over the poor girl's breasts. But just as Gisella opened her mouth to berate him for defiling his father's court before his body was even cold, a messenger tapped her on the shoulder.

"A council meeting is taking place, Lady Gisella," he said. "I've been trying to find you."

She frowned and gave the messenger a curt nod. Before she turned to leave, she looked back at King Nicolas one more time. The glare that she shot him meant that they would be having this discussion later. The sneer he cast back meant he understood.

The council chambers were in an uproar when Gisella arrived. Men stood on either side of the long wooden table, pointing fingers and shouting at one another. She wasn't entirely sure what the argument was about but the words war and assassination were being bandied about so she imagined she could guess. Hardly anyone noticed that she had entered. All but Captain Ronin seemed otherwise occupied with the disagreement. He alone watched her enter, staring at her as she approached.

"If we do not respond quickly, we risk losing the upper hand," Councilman Magnus Bendixen was saying. "Delos has allied themselves with Idoria but that was before they became aware of the assassination. If we could convince them–"

"Can we help you, Lady Gisella?" Ronin interrupted the councilman, raising a brow at Gisella as she began to settle into her usual seat. She looked up at him in surprise before glancing at the other council members who were watching them in silence.

"I'm not sure what you mean," she replied, feigning ignorance though she saw the power play at hand here. "I was always invited to council members under King Maurin."

"And have you been invited under King Nicolas?"

Some of the councilmen looked away from her at that, clearing their throats uncomfortably or staring at the floor. Johan caught her eye and gave a slight shake of the head as if warning her against testing this new captain. Gisella just crossed her arms and raised a brow in return.

"You may ask him if you wish," she replied easily. "Though the new king doesn't seem to be in any condition to make such a call at present."

Ronin frowned at that, clearly not caring for the state of debauchery that Gisella had returned to find the palace in only a day after Nicolas assumed the throne.