Chapter 17 - Kazimir

Chapter 17: Kazimir

Palace of the Equinox Throne: Kingdom of Delos

Kazimir's blood red cloak snapped behind him as he stormed through the halls of the Delosian palace. Guards stood straighter at the sight of him but never moved to halt his progress. Perhaps they could see the thinly veiled rage in his tumultuous gaze. Maybe they feared the little sparks of flame that ignited at his heels with every angry step. Undoubtedly, they noticed his fists clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

These Delosian soldiers feared him. Whether his reputation preceded him or his appearance was warning enough, he wasn't sure. They should have been thanking him, worshiping at his feet. If he hadn't arrived with an army of his Makana at the onset of the Karilish attack, they might not have been standing here today. He had saved them. He had saved all of them. And where was their gratitude? Hidden behind suspicious glances and disgusted glares.

Two enormous doors waited for him at the end of the hall and, behind them, whispers. Murmured words that mocked him, questioned him, sought to degrade him. He threw open the doors and they halted at once.

The Delosian court drank their fill of the sight of him, open mouths and wide eyes gaping at him with keen interest. He let them look. If they wanted to stare, he would be certain the show was worth it.

"Their army has been decimated but they knew it would be," King Helios was saying. He hadn't so much as paused when Kaz had entered, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he had lost the attention of most of his court. "They have a much bigger host waiting at the border, daring us to cross."

"They are re-establishing the refugee lines," King Jareth said, stepping forward to move the pieces on the enormous, table-sized map sitting between them. King Helios placed his chin in his hands and gazed down at the map. The hall fell silent as each king considered their options. Kaz settled in against the wall near the door. A dark-skinned man he had seen before stood beside him.

"Kael," he murmured in greeting.

"You remember me," the Duke replied easily, just as quiet.

"You warned us of the Karilish long before now. I remember."

"There was some mention of an assassination attempt," Kael whispered, watching Kazimir intently as he spoke. "Helios brushed it off well enough, but perhaps you know something about that?"

Kazimir's jaw tightened but he did not answer.

"Be careful, Chaos," Kael warned, armed crossed as he leaned away. "When the royals start to drop dead, the rest of us do too."

Kazimir's eyes slid to the duke once before returning to the kings.

"They have an encampment here, on the ridge. If we placed men—"

The doors beside Kazimir burst open and a messenger hastened forward. He went swiftly to the kings and the three of them bowed their heads together in whispered communication for a moment before they separated and King Helios called out, "Let them in."

At that, a group of Karilish soldiers dressed in their icy blouse uniforms entered, led by a grisly old captain with more medals on his chest than Kazimir had ever seen pinned to a uniform. He wondered absentmindedly how the fabric was holding together under the weight of them all as the man settled into place a few feet from the kings and began his declaration amidst the whispers of the court.

"By order of King Nicolas, you are to disband your union with the country of Idoria at once," he announced. A few of the noblemen began to chuckle at the absurdity of the command. "Idoria has committed regicide which will be considered an act of war against Karil. Delos, in allying themselves with our enemy, makes themselves an enemy of ours as well. But if you will disband this union and—"