Chapter 40 - Maverick

Chapter 40: Maverick

Palace of the Equinox Throne: Kingdom of Delos

"I haven't seen Helios in a week," Valencia spoke from across the dinner table as Maverick sipped the deep amber liquid in his cup. Her usually serene voice was strained somewhat, as if even her vocal chords could not abide by the stress she was under. "He's been locked in that infernal room with all of his advisors. I haven't been able to get a word in edgewise with him. If he would only come to me–"

"Mother."

Maverick's voice was sharp, a sword's edge. His glare was even more cutting and he fixed her with it now.

"Enough," he warned.

"Maverick, your half-brother is dead," Valencia reminded him as if he needed reminding. "The matters of succession must be attended."

"Orion's funeral was yesterday."

"And you are free to mourn," she tried, softening her voice and reaching out to grasp his hand in her own. He pulled away, lip curling in disgust at the false grief in his mother's eyes.

"You don't even care," he accused.

"About Orion? Truthfully, Maverick, no. I don't care."

"He was brutally murdered in his own bed."

"By an unstable zealous princess whom I fervently advised Helios not to betroth him to. Am I sorry it happened? Yes. But do I mourn his loss? No. As it happens, the kingdom may be better off for his demise. Depending upon who your father chooses to name his heir, of course."

"It doesn't matter. Father is very much alive."

"For now. Kings are dropping like flies lately. Surely, you've noticed."

His gaze cut to her again. He frowned.

"So callous," he snapped.

"My apologies," Valencia replied, though there wasn't a note of remorse in her flat tone. "Survival tactic."

Maverick turned away from her and stared out the window of the royal family's private dining hall. He thought of Helios in that moment and, for one of the only times in his life, felt true sorrow for the man. Orion's mother had died in childbirth. The honor of her memory had kept him from remarrying, though it hadn't kept him from bedding Maverick's mother and siring him. And now, he had lost Orion as well. Valencia and Maverick were not the family that Helios chose but they were all he had left now. Would he feel loyalty to them now that they were all that remained? It was clear that Valencia hoped so.

"You want him to name me heir," Maverick said then. His voice was quiet, contemplative. It was not a question but she answered anyway.

"Yes," she replied, simply.

Maverick sighed, hung his head. He could feel an ache in the back of his mind, quickly moving into his temples.

"I'm not the only one," his mother continued. "Most of the court seems to believe it's inevitable. I've received three offers of marriage for you just this evening."

Maverick's disgust must have been clear on his face for Valencia sighed.

"We are all callous, dear," she said, "when we have to be."

"I'm not getting married."

"Not yet. Of course not. It would be ridiculous to accept such a proposal before you're properly coronated. I've discussed the matter with a few trusted advisors and most of them believe that there are some adequate matches among the offerings but, as we are presently on the brink of war, it may be reasonably advisable to wait for a more appropriate alliance. Perhaps foreign. If you could visit–"