Chapter 41 - Gisella

Chapter 41: Gisella

Palace of the Centauri Throne: Kingdom of Karil

Ideally, the new king's most trusted spy would not hesitate to inform him that the man who had taken up cause against his country snuck into her room to engage her in a treasonous conversation. But Gisella found herself waking up the next morning with no such desire. In fact, she woke up three mornings after that with a headache of moral dilemma.

It wasn't as though Gisella considered herself the most ethical of people. That would be a laughable estimation in the face of what she had done for the late king of Karil. But she had made an oath and Gisella took her oaths seriously once she made them. She was to spy for Nicolas, to fight for him, to serve her country. But what was she to do if what her king wanted and what was best for her country were not the same thing?

Then again, who was she to decide what was best for Karil?

It was all too confusing and when things were confusing, Gisella tended to ignore them. She threw all her energy into the surveillance of the royal family of Toura instead. But she found very little of interest. People, particularly nobles, were generally boring in their everyday lives. Especially so when compared to someone like the Chaos who was occupying every available corner of her mind, no matter how intently she tried to force him out.

Almost a week later, she still hadn't made a decision when she entered yet another council meeting and was surprised to find that her fellow council members were already talking about the Chaos. She sat in her seat, aware that every ounce of her body was stiff with nervousness at the sound of his name, and waved away Freya who had appeared to ask if she needed anything before the meeting began.

"— cannot believe he would be so callous," one of the councilmen was saying, shaking his head. "To murder the Idorian princess outright like that. To clap her grieving brother in chains and drag him into the city he should have inherited by all rights."

Gisella sat forward in her seat, practically on the edge of it. What was this, now?

"Idoria is no longer ruled by royalty. It is ruled by zealots," another councilman spoke. "Has been for a long time."

"Who's to say he didn't kill the king as well?" Another asked and the group glanced his way, unconvinced. "I'm just saying, no one but the Chaos actually saw him die."

"But he didn't—"

"Good, you've all heard," a booming voice interrupted, accompanied by the sound of both enormous doors opening at the entryway.

They all turned to see that Nicolas had joined them and was striding toward their table with purpose, Ronin close behind him. They all stood as he approached and sat again when he waved them down.

"Seraphina is dead," Nicolas confirmed. "And so is Orion. The Chaos executed her for the crime of murdering her husband who also so happened to be the heir to the Delosian throne."

This, apparently, was news to the rest of the council. They broke into frenzied murmurs in reaction.

"Bijan was taken prisoner and is, presumably, still alive at present," Nicolas continued, ignoring the muttered conversations happening all around the table. His gaze snapped to Gisella as he finished. "Has this changed things with Toura?"

He narrowed his gaze and she saw the meaning in that. The Princess' letters to Bijan.

"Not that we've observed," Gisella replied. He nodded and turned back to the others. She took that moment to scribble a note onto the sheet of paper in front of her.

Bijan is a captive. Watch Vuha.

She sat back in her seat and raised a finger. A moment later, Freya appeared by her side, took the note, and disappeared. Gisella turned her attention back to Nicolas who was being peppered with questions by terrified council members.