Chapter 31 - Calliope

Chapter 31: Calliope

Western Woods, The Belleming Forest, near the town of Osda

"I don't trust them, Calli."

It wasn't the first time Sebastian had spoken to her during their journey back to Delos. But it was the first time he had so openly said what he had obviously been thinking since they left the dwelling. Unfortunately, Calliope was in no mood to defend her choices.

"Perhaps if I could have trusted my father—" Calliope began.

"Calli."

"You didn't have to come, Sebastian," she reminded him with a sigh. "I made my decision for me. Not for you."

"Maybe Gabriel was going to let you go riding off with a group of complete strangers but I wasn't."

"I'm not helpless, Seb."

"He lied to you about who he was, Calli. He's the prince of Delos and he gave you a fake name and let you lead him into the wilderness. I don't know why Gabriel is keeping things from you but he must have his reasons. He's a good dad, Calli. You're lucky to have him."

With a frown, Sebastian flicked his horse's reins and rode forward ahead of her. Calliope sighed, watching his back as he approached Neva at the front and feeling miserable. No matter how upset she was with Gabriel, complaining about her father to an orphan was low.

"Is there something going on between you and the prince?" someone asked suddenly. Calliope, having been lost in thoughts of an entirely different nature, whirled in her saddle to find that Aditya had ridden up alongside her. The beautiful redhead was smiling warmly her way and waiting for an answer to her entirely out-of-the-blue question.

"Excuse me?" Calliope replied, stunned.

"Forgive me. You aren't accustomed to the casual gossip of young women our age," Aditya mused, pausing for a moment as if waiting for Calliope to chuckle at her joke. She didn't. "I can see how you look at him. And how he looks at you. I've known him for years. You aren't the least bit interested in what I might be able to tell you?"

Aditya raised a brow. Whether this was a test or an attempt at conversation, Calliope wasn't sure. The girl had been right about one thing. She was not used to conversing with women her age. She wasn't quite sure how to take the lively redhead.

"I find I get a better picture of someone by observing their actions rather than by the words of their peers," Calliope answered.

Aditya's gaze narrowed only slightly but it was noticeable enough for Calliope to get the feeling that it had been a test and she thought she might have passed it.

"You're quite the conundrum, Calliope Barlowe. I look forward to learning more about you," Aditya said after a moment.

They rode on in silence for a while. Calliope considered all that had been said on the journey and what she knew about the people she was travelling with. When Aditya spoke again, it startled Calliope so much she nearly fell from her saddle.

"One thing about the prince I will tell you," Aditya said, a faint smile on her lips as she stared ahead at the prince leading them onward. "He's just as altruistic as he seems. But believe me, it gets annoying after a while."

Calliope couldn't help but smile at that and, just as she did, they came to a stop. Maverick had halted the progression from the front. They had crested a small hill and stood a few meters away from the forest line. Maverick was looking off to the west and discussing something with Neva and Sebastian in hushed tones. Aditya and Calliope exchanged a look before they approached. Zephyr moved forward as well but Delphi remained behind, horse standing still and eyes on the sky.