Chapter 7

It took the rest of the afternoon for Persevere to fly back to the rainwing village. He hesitated to go back but he needed proper treatment for his wing otherwise it wouldn't heal. The healers were particularly surprised to see him back but that quickly turned to disappointment when they saw the holes on his wing.

The healers were puzzled about how he managed to achieve that. Persevere only said that he had been flying recklessly and crashed into a bush. The healers weren't convinced, giving him a deadpan look, but they didn't press further. They treated his wing and asked for Persevere to rest for the night which made Persevere groan slightly. He'd rather not be here for the night while his wings recover.

Looking out of the healer's hut, Persevere could see all sorts of rainwings doing their thing. Nothing much had changed during his absence, it's like no one even noticed he was away.

Or no one cared. Persevere scoffed.

The other rainwings mostly ignored him and his inquiries. They actively ignored him when they realized he wasn't as interesting as he used to be anymore. Some used to talk behind his back. It irritated Persevere. In the end he'd rather live alone. At least that way no judgemental eyes will disturb him.

When the healers went away, he heard a clawing on the floor boards and then a brightly colored rainwing dashed through the doorway to trap Persevere in a hug.

"Persy, you're back!" the bright-colored rainwing said.

"Jovial. I didn't expect to see you today." Persevere said.

The rainwing was a year younger than him. Her scales shimmered with a bright yellow as the joy of seeing Persevere washed over her. At least there was one dragon who liked his company.

"I didn't think I'd see you again when you left two years ago without a word. When I saw you flying by I knew I had to see you again. It's boring without you around to talking to me about your pet projects." Jovial said.

Jovial was one of the few rainwings who ever paid attention to Persevere back then. When he first lost his scavenger, she was the first to approach and comfort him. Jovial was fun to be around and she'd suggest all sorts of things that she thought would help him. Then they tested out each other's venom just for curiosity's sake and the cheery rainwing turned out be a half-sister to Persevere. It certainly made Jovial feel more attached to Persevere. Despite Persevere's constant brooding in the past, he still enjoyed having her around and especially now.

"I'm only here a short while to get myself healed." Persevere explained, raising his wing to show her.

Jovial gasped, "What happened? You have to tell me!"

"Easy now. I guess I can tell you. I was hurt by a few scavengers." Persevere replied.

"Scavengers?! There's no way! I thought they were harmless." Jovial remarked.

"Mostly harmless. Turns out they don't like it when a big scary dragon goes near their dens." Persevere joked half-wittingly.

"Seriously, Persy, you shouldn't be so reckless. I don't want to have to go catch some scavengers and tell them off about hurting you." Jovial said.

Persevere gave a weak laugh. He didn't consider himself reckless. But recently he'd been risking his neck over a few scavengers. He didn't understand why he felt the need to protect every scavenger he saw. But then, every scavenger he saw reminded him of his old friend.

Jovial had been around Persevere too often to notice when he was brooding. She tries to cheer him up whenever that happens.

"Hey, no need to feel so glum. I understand studying these scavengers makes you happy. I just want you to be careful. That's all"