A trap

I lurched through the backdoor with Waylen while Mrs. Leponez went through the front. Eric and Loretta were left inside the house to talk, distracting our enigma. Then Mrs. Leponez came up. 

"Hello, there! How are you?"

The man looked up with a jerk.

"I-I was just admiring your plants here, ma'am" He stammered

"My plants, eh? Then why we're you leaning you're head to the window?"

"Well I was fatigued, so I just decided to lay my head there."

"You need a massage?"

The man thought for a moment, then agreed. As Mrs. Leponez massaged him, she stated:

"So, are you sleepy?"

"Yes." The enigma replied.

"Well, I'll help you sleep." She grabbed her shovel she hid behind her back and banged it at the man's head. He fell unconscious.

After calling the police and the man was held hostage, we drove to the Catskill mountains. The scenery was absolutely amazing! So beautiful, too. We arrived after 40 minutes at a small little shed that resembled a cabin. We entered the cabin, finding everything in perfect order, though it smelled weird. 

"Close the door behind us, Eric." Waylen called. He did so. The 5 of us entered the cabin.

"Daniel always keeps his codes in a diary." Mrs. Leponez stated. That was when we saw a box. the box was extremely dusty, and the only way to open it is by fingerprint. That was when I began to become sleepy. 

"Um, guys?" Eric inquired. "Why am I getting sleepy all of a sudden?"

Now it came to me. 

"The smell!" I exclaimed. "It's sleeping gas!"

Waylen looked out the window. 

"The entire place is a plain, no people can hide here."

Mrs. Leponez, coughing stated:

"Daniel must have put sleeping gas as a booby trap." Then she fell, following Loretta, Waylen, Eric, then me.