Forgiven

I was put in jail for third degree murder for 8 years. I had murdered my own cousin! What am I supposed to do? I was completely mortified.

The darkness of the cell was frightening. I slept on a small mat provided by the jailers. How depression had driven me into drinking was unimaginable. And drinking instigated the death of my cousin. The malevolent Misterio was defeated, but there was no prize. I had brought shame to the Martinez family!

After a couple of days Eric visited me. 

"Aziel?" He called. I did not respond. I was too ashamed to see him.

"Aziel, I've got someone to see you." Eric stated. 

"Aziel." A familiar voice called. I slowly turned my head. It was Uncle Edward. I turned my head back. Fear of reprimanding and castigation filled my mind.

"Do all you want with me, Uncle Edward!" I cried. "I murdered your son who is also my cousin. Please! Don't torture me with mortification!" I wailed with all my might.

"Aziel, I don't blame you for it. You're situation was totally understandable. You were depressed, because your loved one had been murdered. You picked up drinking because of it too. But I tell you. I forgive you. For one, you're my nephew. I love you very much. Second, I said before you're situation was understandable."

 My wailing just grew because of it, mostly  because I was indubitably moved by his benignity. I was put in the cell again. 

8 years had passed, and my time was up. Eric picked me up to visit Loretta's grave once again after I moved back to Philadelphia with my parents. 

"Eric? I would like some alone please." 

Eric didn't demur and immediately went back to the car.

"Loretta, thank you for saving me. I know I have never shown sincere gratitude, but I do now. You have taught me a lot, especially after your death, about controlling depression. I love you."

I put a bouquet next to the gravestone.

"Au revoire, Loretta, Au revoire."