Chapter 4: Twelve

[Content warning: Violence]

Mir̃alai was very nervous about Narinder leaving. Of course, she was worried they'd be hurt while they were away. Logically, though, she knew that was hardly a possibility. Her biggest concern was the possibility that they'd never come back. They could easily survive in the Lands of Old Faith without her help, and she feared they would take this opportunity to abandon her cult. She did her best to put these concerns in the back of her mind and just focus on her recovery. The Lamb went to her temple and entered her bedroom. She laid down in the bed and attempted to get some much needed rest.

Given how anxious she was, she managed to fall asleep rather quickly. When she woke, it was to the sound of a knock on her door. She groaned softly, assuming it was Caxton ready to bother her with another concern. The Lamb stood up with a huff and approached her door. When she opened it, she saw a runty fennec fox standing on the other side. Her name was Veda, and she appeared heavily crestfallen. Mir̃alai glanced at the open temple doors, it seemed to be late in the evening, nearly sunset. She turned her attention back to Veda.

"Yes?"

"Leader, I have a confession." She said in a small voice, frowning. Mir̃alai nodded and stepped out of her room, shutting the door.

"Would you like to speak in the confessional?" She offered pointlessly, all anonymity had already been lost.

"No, it's okay." Veda cast her eyes down, seeming to be very troubled. Mir̃alai wondered what this could be about, Veda had never acted out in the past. "I've been keeping a secret."

"Oh? What secret, dear?" Mir̃alai asked.

"I overheard heresy, and I did not report it." The fox frowned.

"Was it Narinder? He is having a hard time adjusting, Veda. Do not worry–"

"No, not Narinder." This sparked some concern. Mir̃alai leaned down to be eye level with her.

"Who, and what did they say?"

"It-..." She looked away, fidgeting nervously. Mir̃alai used a hand to gently lift Veda's head, having the fox look her in the eyes. "It wasn't... wasn't one Follower. There was a group, Leader."

"A group? Who, Veda?"

"I... I am too frightened to say."

"I will not let anything happen to you, I promise to protect you. Please, it is of the utmost importance."

"Okay..." Veda took a breath, "Perpetuos, Caelen, Miralla... I- Ishanti." Understandably, she gave up Ishanti's name with great difficulty. Most followers found Ishanti to be intimidating. Surely Veda, a runt, was terrified of him. "And... and..." She whimpered, tears welling in her eyes.

"Go on." Mir̃alai said gently along with an approving nod.

"Niamh." She began to cry, hiding her face in her hands. Niamh was Veda's best friend, the two were nearly inseparable. They were one and the same, Niamh was small for an otter, and they both were equally soft spoken

"Oh my." Mir̃alai sighed, giving Veda a hug. "You are doing the right thing, dear. What were they saying? Was Ishanti leading them?"

"Y- Yes." Veda sniffled, hiding her face in Mir̃alai's shoulder. "They are upset you allowed Narinder and his servants to join the cult. Ishanti said you were weak, Leader." Veda pulled back a little, getting control of her sobs. "He said you are a traitor, I think he's trying to stage a coup d'état."

"Surely not, Veda. Ishanti is not foolish, he would not strike against me. It would mean his end."

"Please heed me, Leader. They were having a meeting while everyone else was asleep. I pretended to sleep, but I heard everything... They want to take control of the cult themselves, they think they can run it on their own. Ishanti has stolen weapons from the missionary." At this, Mir̃alai released Veda and stood. As foolhardy as this plan sounded, the fact remained that Ishanti posed a serious danger to the other Followers as long as he had weapons.