Chapter 17: Her Blessing

Aym was hard at work inside the temple; he and Attiscesus had taken out Mir̃alai's bedroom wall to add an expansion. They planned to add a nursery that would also serve as the children's bedroom as they grew older. Along with a living room and kitchen. A functional home hiding beyond the temple walls. While this extensive project was under-way, Mir̃alai stayed in the spare bedroom of Caxton's cabin, well away from the noise and dirt. Though she was only five months into her pregnancy, Mir̃alai was not taking it well. She was a bit larger than she would have been if it were a singleton pregnancy, and as it was her first pregnancy, she struggled badly to deal with her symptoms. The Lamb was sore, and irritable. She no longer went on crusades, though not for lack of want. Aym would not allow her to put herself in danger while she was carrying their children. Mir̃alai resented him for it, she wanted to take her frustrations out on the hostile creatures inhabiting the other Domains. He stood his ground despite her complaints, and though she gave up arguing, she also refused to see him. She had hardly spoken to him in the last week, and certainly did not allow him to sleep in the same bed as her.

Aym and Atti were taking a break from their project, leaning against the temple wall to enjoy the cool early-spring air.

"Is she still giving you a cold shoulder?" Atti asked as he sipped on the water Aurelia had brought them.

"She bid me goodnight yesterday." Aym shrugged a little.

"Ah, that is progress." The ox chuckled.

"It is." He sighed, "She is handling this so poorly, I wish she would allow me to help her. I offered to go on crusades in her place, but she refused."

"It is her pride, she will come around soon enough."

"I do hope so."

"Have you heard anything from your brother yet? I have not seen him in some time now."

"He is still in Narinder's Domain." Aym spoke gravely, "Mistress Nykka insists that he is alright, but I still worry. Mir̃alai and I have no access to him, it would be foolish for us to attempt to visit him."

"Your worry is natural." Attiscesus shrugged. "I can only assume this is the longest you have been separated from him, you've spent the entire winter apart."

"Indeed..." He frowned a little. Thinking of Baal's absence had caused a cloud of gloom to settle over him. Atti set his water aside and motioned for Aym to follow him back inside to continue working. Aym followed, thankful to take his mind off it.

The grueling day had finally come to an end, and Aym decided to try his luck with Mir̃alai again. After washing in one of the on-ground bathhouses, he made his way back to Caxton's cabin. Moments after knocking, the rabbit answered the door.

"Yes...?" He asked, looking up at the cat with a stressed expression. The hare had taken it upon himself to care for Mir̃alai while she refused to see Aym. Apparently, the task was more strenuous than he was prepared for.

"I wish to see Mir̃alai."

"I don't think-" Caxton began, then glanced back as the guest room door opened. Mir̃alai looked out and sighed when her eyes met her lover's.

"I'll see him." She said to Caxton who looked beyond relieved. He stepped aside, allowing Aym to enter. Mir̃alai disappeared back into her temporary bedroom, leaving the door open for Aym to follow. He did so, and closed the door behind himself.

"How are you feeling? I have been worried about you." Aym said as he watched her settle back into her bed, pulling the blankets over herself with a somber expression.

"Not great, Aym. I cannot stand to just sit here all day."

"Mir̃alai, you can leave the cabin." He sat on the edge of the bed, feeling relieved that she did not shoo him away as she had been recently prone to doing. "You can still perform sermons, and rituals. You can interact with your Followers, or visit Mistress Nykka. It is not as if I am holding you prisoner here."