Chapter 40: Secret

When we returned to the citadel, we stopped quickly to say goodbye to Daruk. Daruk gave me a fierce hug, squeezing the air from my lungs. When he set me down, I gasped for air. Daruk chuckled and gave Link a hard pat on the back, making Link stumble slightly. "You two look after each other, alright?" He smiled, giving us a knowing look.

I blushed; for a Goron, Daruk was very perceptive. "How did you know?" I hissed under my breath. Link and I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary.

Daruk scratched his forehead, "I figured after our talk on Death Mountain things just naturally progressed." Daruk said, making me sigh in exasperation.

"Just don't tell anyone for now." I told Daruk, "We want to wait until after the war."

Daruk nodded and gave a huge grin, "You can count on me. And when the time does come, you'll have my and the Goron's full support."

His words made me happy. For so long I had felt so alone, when in reality I had so many people in my life that were willing to move mountains for me. How had I not noticed it? Why had it taken a months long journey with a sandy-haired knight for me to realize this? "Thanks Daruk." I smiled at him. "Please let me know if anything else comes up here in Akkala. Link and I should be heading back to Central. There's quite a bit that needs to be addressed." I looked over at Link, and swallowed, "We fear we only have a few months left until Calamity Ganon comes."

Daruk gave a firm nod. "Then we will be ready! I'll make sure to give that monster hell with this power I have!"

With that, Daruk and I hugged one last time, and then Link and I left, riding back to Central. The journey was uneventful and Link and I chatted casually as we traveled. We traveled at a decent pace, reaching the castle late in the night. The sun had already set and a chill breeze swept through Central. When we finally did reach the castle, Link and I made our way to the stables, allowing our horses a much needed rest.

My mind went to Impa briefly, hoping she was ok. I frowned, my thoughts drifting to Kakariko Village; how many other villages would be subject to such a fate? Kakariko Village had been able to fight off the monsters, but would others be able to? And if so, at what cost? The village was in shambles, and it would take awhile to repair. I would have to talk with my father about sending additional resources to Kakariko Village; they would need it.

And then my thoughts drifted to Revali. Was he still with Impa? Or had he returned to Rito Village by now? Maybe he was even here at the Castle and I would see him soon enough.

"You ok?" Link asked me, breaking me from my thoughts.

I sighed, "Just thinking about Impa and Kakariko Village."

Link scratched the back of his head, uncertain what to say. "They took a heavy blow, but they're resilient people."

"Yes." I agreed, still worried, "I just wish there was more I could do for them."

Link rubbed my back, trying to comfort me. "You've done a lot for them, Zelda. And with the Gorons and Gerudo helping them, I'm sure they'll have things situated quickly."

"Yes, that is true." I rubbed my forehead, "I just worry. About Impa, about Kakariko... About all this... this mess." I closed my eyes, images from my vision flashing in my mind. Ever since Impa had been injured, they wouldn't leave my mind. They were a constant reminder that if things turned out badly, it was my fault.

"Hey." Link said, grabbing my hands in his, "This isn't your fault." He said firmly, seeing where my thoughts had headed. "You've done so much Zelda."

I exhaled. I wanted nothing more than to lean into Link and just lose myself in his warmth. But we were back at Hyrule Castle, and I couldn't chance someone seeing. I pulled my hands from Link's and said, "Let's meet up tomorrow. I think we both need some rest. I'll have to meet with my father in the morning, but after that I'll come find you. Maybe we'll even manage to run into Revali. I would like to talk to him."