venti | an encounter in sumeru

warnings: none

-

"ON YOUR LEFT!"

"Thank you, dear!"

After the traveler managed to coax the Anemo Archon to join him on his journey, you had no choice but to follow closely behind. The three of you traversed the terrain of Inazuma, and somewhere amidst the thunder and lightning, you fell in love with the elemental god, who just so happened to reciprocate your feelings. So, with a slight change in dynamic and another region rescued, your little adventure team was off to Sumeru– where you were currently clearing a withering zone.

"I'll hold them off, you get the Dendrograna!" Venti shouted over the sound of angry fungi.

You nodded and did as he said, quickly slashing your sword across a withering branch and dodging its counter-attack. More fungi emerged from the ground at your feet, and you almost fell backward trying not to step on them (even though you were going to have to fight them anyway.)

Within minutes, Venti was at your side, helping you fend off the vicious little mushrooms. Together you managed to destroy the other two withering branches and activate the tumor of the withering, which summoned another monster. You expected a slightly larger, angrier version of the fungi you were fighting before, but to your surprise, a type of automaton you had never seen appeared in front of your eyes.

"Not it," you said jokingly, well, half-jokingly. You still raised your sword in preparation for whatever the mechanical monster was going to do.

"You're not afraid of a big, mechanical dinosaur, are you?" Venti teased, his bow also pointed at the ruin creature. You watched as it launched about half a dozen missiles into the air, all of which were headed straight toward you and your partner.

"You know what, yes, I am very afraid."

You and Venti ran to opposite sides of the guard; his anemo power and your geo attacks clashed in a mix of teal and honey, a grayish shade of green emerging from it all. A few slashes and arrows went by before you found yourselves standing side-by-side again. "This thing won't die!" You shouted, and Venti frowned, shooting another anemo-infused arrow at it.

You were about to use the rest of your energy in a final attack when you felt something touch your ankle, causing you to jump. You looked down to see another fungus, seemingly peaceful, albeit still startling. Venti had just shot yet another arrow at the automaton when it began to wind up for a tail-swiping attack, and the god's heart sank when he noticed you were distracted. He quickly threw his bow behind his back and leapt on top of you, rolling you both out of the way.

The monster was readying for another missile attack when it suddenly collapsed in a flash of green, and in the remains of its body stood Tighnari, bow in hand. Venti sighed in relief and almost collapsed on top of you, but you quickly sat up and dusted yourself off in embarrassment.

"Excellent work there, travelers," the forest ranger said, arms crossed. You helped Venti up off the ground and huffed, upset that you were caught at a weak moment. "Tighnari, we had that, I swear!"

He shook his head, "you know it's not your duty to clear the withering zones. If you can't handle it, don't risk your lives."

It was Venti's turn to speak up, "My fellow forest-dweller, I can assure you I would've gotten us out of the way of that attack just in time. I would never let any harm come to the beloved of mine."

Tighnari's face shifted into a knowing smirk. "Ah, so you two are..."

You narrowed your eyes, and he shook his head. "Never mind. I can't tell you what to do, but next time, be more careful. In any case, why aren't you in Sumeru city with Aether?"

You and Venti shared a look. "We're on a date," Venti said casually. You looked away from Tighnari in embarrassment. You weren't hiding your relationship by any means, but it still flustered you when Venti spoke about it.

"Do you always fight ruin drakes when having a romantic outing?"

"Of course not!" Venti exclaimed, offended. "...There is the occasional slime."

Tighnari nodded with a short laugh. "I see. Good work here, you know, before you almost got blown up. I'll be on my way."

You watched Tighnari walk away until you couldn't see him anymore, and suddenly, Venti was holding your shoulders.

"You're not hurt, are you? Oh sweet wind currents, tell me you didn't get smacked," he spoke frantically, checking for injuries.

You laughed and gently pushed him away, shaking your head. "I'm fine– thanks to you. That little fungus was his accomplice," you said bitterly, referring to the ruin drake. Venti kissed your cheek and wrapped you in a hug, shoving your head into his chest.

"Never get distracted by a fumbling fungus again," he looked down at you. "Or you won't be the only one meeting their end."

Your eyes widened, "Venti!"

"What? I'll smack that shroom into the next century!"

You couldn't help but laugh as you pulled away from the hug and took his hand in yours. "Let's go home," you said.

"And where is that?" He asked, starting to walk.

You smiled. "Wherever we want."