venti | a million lifetimes

a lil angst here and there . u know it.

warnings: none
WC: 549

+

     Your hair swayed in the wind and Venti's eyes watched it flow like the ocean waves, a certain warmth bubbling in his chest at the sight of it. Your legs dangled off the side of Starsnatch Cliff, a fluffy dandelion in your hands. Venti couldn't believe how unbelievably beautiful you were. He had been alive for so many years, traveled far, remembered every song and every face he ever laid his eyes on.

But yours, it was indescribable.

"Darling," he said softly. You turned. "You look so wonderful today. You're... glowing."

You smiled, noticing the twinkle of honesty in his eyes. He had never lied to you before, but with every truth, you fell harder. Your head tilted in a familiar fashion, and your lips collided. He tasted sweet, like apples– but the taste of alcohol always lingered on his lips. After many kisses, you still couldn't decide whether you liked the taste of wine itself– or the fact that it was his.

When you pulled away, the tornado in Venti's mind dispersed, and he was able to focus his eyes on the hand that moved the dandelion in front of him.

"I wish," you started, "that you and I... would never part."

His eyebrows furrowed. "You can't say that out loud! It won't come true!"

You laughed as you blew away the last few seeds, leaving just the stem in your hand. Venti's eyes followed the seeds as they were carried over the ocean, on their way to Inazuma. You pictured some staying in Mondstadt, and others making laps around the world. Perhaps they'd plant themselves where they started with stories to tell of their journey.

Venti viewed them like fleeting fire, a momentary spark only to be lost in the world with no payment owed of a breeze to guide them home. He laughed dryly, inwardly, at the absurdity of this thought. But he couldn't help thinking it, not when the most beautiful creature he had ever seen was constantly fading little by little, and there was nothing he could do about it. How terrifying, he realized, to be complete, and know that when his other half goes, she will leave with more than just half of him.

You felt his chin rest on your shoulder. His braid tickled the side of your neck. "I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm not going anywhere, Ven." He buried his face in your shoulder.

"It will never be enough," he whispered, his voice breaking. "A million lifetimes with you– it could never be enough."

You watched the sun meet the water. You would be lying if you said you hadn't thought over and over about leaving Venti at the end of your life, but what's the point of loving if you're mourning for it before its end? The future is not meant to stop you from living through the present.

"You must stop torturing yourself," you said. Venti raised his head to meet your eyes and you placed a hand on his cheek. "I love you now, Venti. Don't spend the time you have me thinking about when you won't. I love you now."

He didn't react for a moment, but the last few silent tears rolled down his cheeks. His head turned to kiss your palm. "I'll love you forever."