venti | a loss for words

im not gonna lie guys i hate how this turned out :( hopefully i find motivation to write more genshin characters soon bc honestly ive just been on that botw grind

warnings: none
WC: 597

+

Venti always had something nice to say about everyone he met. At the dinner table, in celebration of Lantern Rite, the way he spoke about the friends gathered round was as if he were reciting poetry.

He had only just arrived, and with every greeting came at least a dozen endearing words, especially to the traveler— who everyone adored. When he spoke to Zhongli, you couldn't help but roll your eyes at the compliments Venti spit out like sugar water.

But when Venti's eyes caught yours for the first time since his arrival, he froze in his place. You were wearing a new dress, one you had gotten specifically for the occasion, and it did not go unnoticed.

He parted his lips to speak, to say whatever sonnet came to mind– to say anything at all– but when his eyes met yours, he was left completely and utterly speechless. A quiet "Uh..." left his throat as he realized there was something about you that even he couldn't find the words to describe.

You frowned at his silence. Everyone else got words of praise and compliments— Did you have no qualities that were worth mentioning? If so, not even a hello?

Xingqiu noticed your discomfort and put a hand on your shoulder, at which you smiled, nodding as if to tell him you were alright. Venti watched your exchange as the chatter in the restaurant picked up again. Violins played softly in his head as he caught the red on your cheeks, the unique shade of e/c that made your irises, and the way your face lit up at a joke told by Hu Tao. Why hadn't he noticed all of these things before? How could he have been so oblivious to such a beautiful creature?

"Y/n, could I trouble you for a moment?" He whispered, finally finding a word or two. You nodded and he led you outside.

It was late by then— Venti had a tendency to show up fashionably so— but all of the city was aglow with the lanterns' light. You watched them in wonderment, like stars. Venti watched you the same.

"What's up?" You asked, trying to sound casual, and not hurt.

Venti took your hands in his. His eyebrows furrowed for a moment, and you could see the metaphorical quill and ink finish writing in his head. He took a deep breath before meeting your eyes.

"You... Um..." He chuckled nervously. "Beautiful."

You smiled confusedly, the last word had come out high-pitched and quiet. "What?"

"You are so beautiful," he whispered, but loud enough so you could hear it. He tucked a strand of hair behind your ear and you froze under his touch. "Not just tonight. Not just now. You're always so pretty. And I... normally have a lot to say about pretty things, but... I fear you've left me speechless."

You were shocked. Your initial sadness was washed away and replaced with butterflies. A million things ran through your mind but all you could choke out was, "Really?"

Venti laughed and nodded, "Oh yes. If you'll give me your time, I'm sure I'll find the words to describe your beauty somewhere in the world. The most wonderful, ethereal words."

"Give you my time?" You smiled, face a million degrees. "It's already yours, Venti."

His smile never left his lips as he cupped your cheek and leaned in close. "This is a promise," he said, lips hovering over yours, "I'll use all that time to show you how I love you." And with that, he closed the gap.