albedo | and I love you

warnings: mentions of death

-

            The night was quiet, and the moon was low. Albedo held you by the fire as you shivered in the midst of Wyrmrest Valley. You looked up at him with what energy you had left. He smiled at you as your eyes met, but you could see behind it. He was scared. Terrified. His blonde hair fell over his eyes, and he let it.

"What is it?"

"I am sorry," Albedo whispered, almost like he was trying to convince you. "I'm sorry."

Your eyebrows furrowed. What was he sorry for?

"For what, Albedo?"

He laughed dryly. "Nothing, dear. Just... go to sleep. I'm here." A tear fell onto your frosted skin.

The snow continued to fall and the fire eventually faded into only smoke. Albedo sat in deafening silence, cradling your lifeless body as Mondstadt burned on the horizon.

    Albedo's eyes shot open as he bolted up, taking in his surroundings. He was in his room in Mondstadt– and his heart was racing. He took a note of that. The air was warmer inside, but he could see through the window that it was still snowing. Albedo realized, as he looked down and saw you sleeping soundly next to him, that your death was just a nightmare.

"Albedo?"

He flinched. "Yes, dear?"

You sat up and wrapped your arms around him, sleepily leaning your head on the back of his shoulder.

"What is it?"

Albedo couldn't answer. He knew it was only a nightmare, and that at that moment, he was in control of his mind and body. That he wouldn't destroy Mondstadt if he responded. But it felt like the scene in the dream: as if he would insist that it was nothing, then be in that archon-forsaken valley again, trying to keep the fire lit. Trying to keep you alive– and failing.

You noticed his silence and moved to sit next to him. With a gentle hand, you guided his chin so he would look at you, and when he did, a tear rolled down his cheek. You didn't bother to ask again, simply pulled him into a loving hug, as the first tear was followed by another and another.

Albedo's arms wrapped around your waist and held onto you for dear life, as the man you loved cried in the dark. This rarely happened. Once in a blue moon, you'd say. You had only seen Albedo cry twice before– once when he was really drunk, and again on a night like this.

"Albedo," you said, soft but stern. "Tell me what's wrong, please. Was it a nightmare?"

"I couldn't save you," he whispered. "I let you die. I watched you die."

His voice was cold, as always. It barely broke or wavered, even through tears, but it didn't matter. You felt the emotion through the way he clung to you, his head buried in your hair.

"It wasn't real," you assured. Albedo sniffed. He knew this. Rationally, he knew this.

"It will be," he whispered, hoping you wouldn't hear it. But you did, and your heart broke. You knew since long before you were a couple that Albedo was convinced he would inevitably lose control of himself and destroy Mondstadt, but you refused to believe it. You wouldn't let it happen.

You pulled away from the hug and cupped his cheek. "It won't be."

He slightly shook his head, but didn't say anything. He only leaned in to kiss you, capturing your lips in a tired, desperate attempt at being closer to you. When he pulled back, he looked at you as best as he could in the dark, whispering nothing but a faint "I love you." Something he had never said before.

You smiled, taking his hand in your own. You had known it for a while but hadn't found the right time to say it yet. "I love you too, Albedo. And I'm not dying. Not by your hand– nobody is. Mondstadt is just fine. And I love you."

The corners of his mouth slightly rose. He was starting to believe you. "And you love me."

"I do," you responded. "Let's go back to sleep, yeah?"

He nodded.

He was glad you were there.