XIX

A slight, continuous tapping on Waverly's arm made her stir. She lazily opened her eyes and saw Judson peering closely into her face.

"You have to see." He said, visibly excited and cautiously pulled her to her a stand then led her through the corner where she had walked off to the night before.

The air was near freezing and Waverly felt her eyelids becoming chilly as she rubbed the sleep out of them.

"What is it?" She grumbled, not feeling fully awake and desiring to return to sleep.

"Up there." Judson pointed and snaked a hand around her waist.

She went stiff for a split second then wrapped her arm around his neck when it became clear that he was only about to fly. He rarely ever did. The wind whistled like razors in her ears as they soared and came up to the top of a rock. It was almost to the crack of dawn and she could tell by the budding warmth of color in the sky. The surrounding was unbelievably serene from that height and it seemed Judson had picked the highest rock because she could see to every angle.

"Look. Look!" He gasped and pointed a finger toward the horizon.

Waverly kept her gaze fixed on the phenomenon.

The ocean's horizon was turning red and yellow like a mix of blood and sunlight. A good number of minutes passed and then slowly, almost as though it was warily peering for any onlookers, the sun began to rise; but what truly made Waverly's skin rupture with gooseflesh was not the sunrise itself. She drew a sharp intake of breath when she caught sight of something large and humanoid on the horizon. It was rising as if previously seated on a chair and the whole of its massive head was outlined by golden rays of sunlight. The sight was equally as terrifying as it was ethereal and incredibly hypnotizing that Waverly felt her soul reach out toward it, ignoring all else.

"Lord Thern." She whispered, unable to blink.

It felt like the whole world had stilled to allow Thern's form continue to rise into the sky with the sun, bathing the ocean with incredible light and beauty. Waverly flailed her hand in a bid to feel Judson to confirm that he was truly there because the scene felt to her like a wonderful yet bone chilling dream. Her fingers interlaced with his and they both watched; frozen, enchanted and awed by the fascinating oddity. It seemed to have taken the whole of eternity before the god's form finally faded and only the sun remained in the sky.

Even then, Waverly could hardly breathe or bring herself to move from her position.

Finally, she turned to Judson.

"H-How did you know?" She asked quietly.

Judson shook his head and an expression of uncertainty passed through his features. "I must have felt it."

It was then Waverly inhaled and blinked the light and moisture out of her eyes. She gazed at the ocean up front and at the stretch of rock covered land behind. In between where she stood and the ocean was what seemed to be a large wilderness of some sort but it did not look to be all that wild. Just really barren.

"Éornes." She absentmindedly exclaimed, going toward the edge of the rock. (Wilderness)

"What?" Judson asked.

"How long do you think it will take us to arrive the oceanside?"

He shrugged. "I am not sure but it appears a long way off still. My guess is twenty days or more if we travel as usual."

"As usual?" Waverly frowned.

Judson bashfully and ridiculously imitated a monster's gait and facial expressions making Waverly break into laughter.