XXIV

The silence in the room was overpowering after Photinia's statement. The one who broke it was Borus. He turned to his youngest brother.

"Are you making a silly joke, Qar?" He asked quietly, his eyes reducing to slits. "Because if you are, it has made nobody laugh as you can see."

Qar appeared unabashed. "But I saw her."

"Do you even know what a dream is all about then, eh, Qar?" Aoel inquired with a roll of his green eyes. "You might have just been sleeping and then seen her walk past through your peepers."

"That is alright, lads." Nunu lifted a paw to silence his children then turned to Waverly and sighed. "Tell me the truth now, why did you give my little boy a dream?"

Within her, Waverly felt annoyance spring to the surface at once but for the sake of the wee Burrowers, kept her voice level. Her frown though was distinct and expressive.

"Are you searching for another means to insult me?" She asked calmly, her brows deeply furrowing. "Have you not had enough already? I only met Qar a few moments ago when he walked into the room. Photinia was right there. Even if I had done what you accuse me of, your wife would have seen me do it."

"She can give dreams, mumma?" Qar whispered to his mother, his eyes becoming full of excitement.

"Hush, Qar." Photinia said, swiping her paws gently over his mouth. She turned to Waverly pleadingly. "Come with me, dear. We shall speak alone."

Waverly tore her intense gaze from Nunu's, glanced briefly at Judson who gave a permissive nod, then rose and followed Photinia out of the room. The She-Burrower led her into the guest room again. When she had pulled the wooden blockage to a close, Photinia began to cry. Guilt tore away at her insides even though she truly had not done anything. She reached out for Photinia and found that the whole of her hand covered the creature's shoulder.

"You must forgive me, Photinia. But I swear it, I did nothing to Qar." She said.

The She-Burrower reached into her pocket and pulled out a lovely blue kerchief to dab at her eyes. The knot her ears were tied into suddenly loosened, making her look a lot stranger and wilder but Waverly guessed that the action fully translated to just how sad the creature was.

"Oh, I know, I know, dear." Photinia said, waving a hand. "It is just. . . I always feared that this would happen one day."

"What do you mean?" Waverly asked, setting gently to the ground with her legs crisscrossed.

Photinia sniffled and a quarter of her entire face moved with the action. "You see, dear. The reason why Burrowers do not dream unlike other Hammitonian beings like us is because we do not have souls. After they pass on, the soul of a Human and an Elf, or even a Gypster would either go to a beautiful or a dreadful place. Other Hammits, well, they are simply reborn into something else, but we Burrowers die and never ever come back or go anywhere pleasant. We become mere earth or ashes."

She sniffled again and wiped the tears from her eyes a second time. "There were many Burrowers in the past, long ago, that dreamed and became different. They found purpose and adventure or. . . whatever you call it. They pledged their lives to servitude in one way or another but they never lived long as Burrowers are meant to do. They died earlier and horribly. Oh mercy, my poor Qar."

Waverly was thrown into utter confusion and slight amazement and tried to speak but found it difficult but after a few moments, she eventually did.

"Is that not a wonderful thing then? For one to have a life of purpose and adventure?"

Photinia looked mortified. "By Nalie, I forbid it for my family." Then her face suddenly fell into a grave one. "But alas, it is not forbidden. Nunu has had a dream as well."