Time is against us

Two months had gone by in which Aegon had returned to ignore Helaena ever since she had announced to be pregnant again; Daeron had left and was now the cup bearer of his mother's uncle, Lord Hightower; their father had only left his chambers once since his operation to the eye; the Queen presided in his stead; the Hand governed and warmed his throne; Aemond's hatred for Rhaenyra and her sons grew ever so steadily ... his mother lashed out all her worries and her nasty comments she had about Jacaerys, Lucaerys and Joffrey onto him and he revered her words.

Then there was Vaera who had hardly been able to learn which House to trust and which not ... But what seemed to brighten Vaera's days were the nights spent with Aemond or the stolen moments during the day, alone in the library, in an empty room – if it had been possible he would have spent his sleeping hours awake to lay his eye on her.

"Why do you always have to talk with all those ladies? Spend time with me" he insisted one morning, "Because –'' she began calmly walking back to him, "You find out many interesting things" she said curling her lips, "Like what?" he asked letting her walk around him, "Like whose husband likes to have women hold him down while a man jerks him off in a pleasure house" she said stopping in front of him, he frowned, "Everyone has a thing" she said shrugging, "What is yours?" she asked curiously making sure no one came towards them in the garden, "You are" he said firmly, looking intensively at her, he took her hand, fully knowing there might have been spies watching; she tried to retrieve it but he held her tightly, "Everything you do is my thing" he stated, she blushed slightly and he lowered to kiss her hand, "Aemond!" she hissed, "I'm just kissing your hand, sister" "Well, you shouldn't" she stated vehemently, he looked away upset towards the sea.

She sighed, knowing her words had hurt him, "Aemond, I only meant, you shouldn't out here –'' "If we were married we could and should everywhere" he said bitterly. She hesitated, she felt observed in that garden and didn't want to touch him, but she finally lay a hand on his shoulder, "We can't. That's our burden but we must learn to live with it" she said calmly, he turned around at once, standing still, "Live with it?" he asked menacingly, she stepped back, "You're saying you're okay with me marrying someone that isn't you? Because I am not okay with you marrying anyone that isn't me" he almost spoke too loudly, he grabbed both her arms, almost too tightly and pierced her through with his gaze.

He had become scarier and fiercer growing up, "You aren't marrying anyone that isn't me" he stated firmly as if he was giving her an order, "Let go of me" she said trying to break free, "Aemond, let go of me" she repeated herself. But he wasn't letting go, he was just holding onto her tighter with a mad look in his eye and face.

Vaera had never been happier to see ser Criston walk towards her. He hurried down the main path among the bushes and the flowers and almost shouted, "Princess!" but Aemond was still holding her - in that moment Vaera knew he wouldn't have given up on her easily if marriages were to be mentioned in the future, he didn't want to be separated from her.
Her sworn sword had stopped close to them and was now urging her brother to let her go, "My Prince, whatever has happened let go of the Princess" and he finally let go, still staring at her with a jealousy stricken look.

Ser Criston grabbed her and held her up even though she didn't need to be, while Aemond stepped back and looked lost for a moment, "I'll walk her back inside" said Aemond snapping out of it, while Vaera still looked at him astounded, "I think it's best I do it, my Prince" said ser Criston calmly, they stared each other down for a moment, almost challenging each other. Then Aemond sort of nodded, turned around and walked through another path.

Ser Criston gave her a worried look, "What was that about?" he asked her at once, "A trifle, nothing really" she lied composedly, "It didn't seem like nothing to me, Princess" he argued, "It's nothing" she continued, "Vaera, I know your brother. I have seen him grow up and I've been with him for most of his life. I know he has a temper" he insisted as he began to walk her back inside the Keep, she chuckled, "Then you'll know how easily his temper is altered, it was nothing" she repeated hoping she wouldn't have to do it again, "These will leave bruises" he continued hastily touching her where Aemond had held her tightly, "I've been covered in bruises ever since I started training with you seven years ago –'' "But –'' he began stopping her, he made her turn around to face him and she could tell he was worried.