✧Chapter 6: Trial and error

(A/N): I'm sorry, I kinda suck at spacing out training. The training arc in this fic is kinda spastic and all over the place. But don't worry, once your childhood era is over, the real action begins.

~✧☽❄☾✧~

Multiple times a week would you three would travel down the mountain.

Eventually the traps became much more dangerous.

Even to the point of small blades being thrown at you, or a pit with spikes.

It was as if he wanted you three dead.

Anyways, you weren't invincible so no matter how hard you tried, you could not manage to fully accomplish the breathing styles.

They always came out floppy or the flow was uneven. And what pissed you off even more was the fact that psychically, you had memorized the exact angle, pitch, swing, everything! Everything needed to pull off the styles.

You were stressed. Based off of what Urokodaki said, final selection would be held soon. If you weren't fully prepared for it, he wouldn't let you go.

And you wanted, no needed, to go with Giyuu and Sabito.

You felt like it was your duty to protect them.

After you slowly started to view Sabito as your older brother, you became much more attached to him. Especially because you were the one who killed your brother, so having that mental image of what happened to Kenji, you'd never want something similar to happen to Sabito.

The both of them were so similar in so many ways. Sabito shared Kenji's unbridled kindness and compassion.

Sabito was strong and talented, you could not deny that. But you just felt like you were now responsible that nothing would happen to Sabito.

And Giyuu reminded you of Chiako in a way. Chiako wasn't always very good at expressing emotions or offering comfort, just like Giyuu. But still, nonetheless they both were still caring and compassionate people.

You started to see so much of your family in them both.

You'd never forgive yourself if because you were too incompetent to learn the breathe styles, that they died during final selection and you couldn't save them. Especially since now that you were training as a demon slayer, you actually had the ability to protect others.

"[Y/N], hey its lunch time, we're gonna go eat. You wanna join us?" Giyuu asked.

You shook your head "No" and simply continued on trying the breathe styles.

You could say that at least now you could preform the first form. It was still a bit choppy but still, you could do it.

But how were you going to pass final selection and survive man eating demons if you only knew one form? You needed to learn them all if you wanted to succeed.

Giyuu sighed as he walked back inside.

"So? What did she say?" Sabito asked.

"As usual she said no. I feel like she's overworking herself too much. It's becoming too taxing on her body."

"Yeah, she always looks like she's faint or is about to pass out. It doesn't help at all that she doesn't eat much either. I'm really worried about her, Giyuu."

"I am too but no matter how many times I try to convince her to take a break she just keeps on training. Her stubborn traits are admirable but right now its not good."

"Yeah...and I know that if I tell Urokodaki about this he'll just get upset. He does seem to have a soft spot for her and if he knew just how much she's torturing herself about this he wouldn't be too happy."