8 | i miss you, im sorry

Do you remember happy together?I do, don't you?Then all of a sudden, you're sick to your stomachIs that still true?

I do, don't you?
Then all of a sudden, you're sick to your stomach
Is that still true?
... You said, "Forever, " in the end I fought it
Please be honest, are we better for it?
Thought you'd hate me, but instead you called
And said, "I miss you"
I caught it
... Good to each other, give it the summer
I knew, you too
But I only saw you once in December
I'm still confused
... You said, "Forever, " and I almost bought it
I miss fighting in your old apartment
Breaking dishes when you're disappointed
I still love you, I promise
Nothing happened in the way I wanted
Every corner of this house is haunted
And I know you said that we're not talking
But I miss you, I'm sorry
... I don't wanna go, think I'll make it worse
Everything I know brings me back to us
I don't wanna go, we've been here before
Everywhere I go leads me back to you
(You said, "Forever, " and I almost bought it)
I don't wanna go, think I'll make it worse
(I miss fighting in your old apartment)
Everything I know brings me back to us
(Breaking dishes when you're disappointed)
I don't wanna go, we've been here before
(I still love you, I promise)
Everywhere I go leads me back to you
(Nothing happened in the way I wanted)
I don't wanna go, think I'll make it worse
(Every corner of this house is haunted)
Everything I know brings me back to us
(And I know you said that we're not talking)
I don't wanna go, we've been here before
(But I miss you)
Everywhere I go leads me back to you
I don't wanna go, think I'll make it worse
Everything I know brings me back to us
I don't wanna go, we've been here before
Everywhere I go leads me back to you

seven months after
third person

everyone knew one of the two would cave eventually, giving in to their late night thoughts, wondering how the other was doing. it'd been over six months since brooke had called him, and matt was feeling restless, as if he was missing part of him. he thought it'd get easier as the months went by, but much to his dismay, it wasn't.

when brooke's phone rang at two in the morning that thursday night, the last person she expected to be calling her was matthew. brooke was back in boston, visiting home. nobody knew she was back home except her parents. although matt didn't know, she knew there was a reason he was calling. taking a deep breath, she picked up. "matt?"

"do you remember when we were happy?" the boy just a block away asked, surprising brooke. "i do, don't you?"

she heard matt laugh slightly through the phone, "of course i do. it's all i've thought about the past couple nights."

"you still think about me? why? i hurt you in more ways than i could even know."

"i said forever, i meant it."

"matt.."

"no, don't. are we better off without each other?"

brooke sighed, "i think right now we are, we broke up for a reason, and right now that reason is still very valid."

"we can make it work, i'll fly to see you, you can come see me. just like we talked about before all of this." matt said, making brooke wish more than anything that he could have had this mindset seven months ago. "everything is different, matt."

"yeah, okay. i'm sorry."

playing with her fingers, she took a deep breath once again. "you don't have anything to be sorry about, matt. it's me who should be apologizing. you were my best friend, i loved you, and i just left. i put my career before our relationship, and there are so many days where i question if i did the right thing."

"i would have hated myself if i held you back, you know that brooke." matt sighed. "i know."

"i miss you."

as soon as brooke was about to reply, the phone call ended. even though the two were closer than they'd been in months, both couldn't have felt farther away.

the next morning, once light was surrounding brooke's house and the snowy streets outside, it was especially hard to be there. everything reminded her of matt, from the hallways, to the bathroom, to her bedroom. just a year ago, the two were laughing in the bathroom, doing face masks. it was all matt's idea, and brooke couldn't stop laughing as she sat on the sink, watching as matt put the mask on her face. he had the most serious look on his face, a look full of concentration.

deciding she needed to get out of the house she grew up in, brooke went for a walk, enjoying feeling the cool air on her face, feeling content as the white sidewalks clouded her vision. stopping a far enough distance away from the sturniolo house that nobody could see her if they were to look outside, she just stood there, wanting nothing more than to run inside and see her closest friends. she knew she couldn't, she couldn't face matt. just as she was about to turn around, she saw an all too familiar figure walk out the front door, walking to an all too familiar van. she felt the lump in her throat grow, but couldn't turn around no matter how hard she tried.

she was secretly hoping he would see her, but she knew that would only make matters worse. snapping out of her gaze, she turned on her heel, making her way back towards her house.

suddenly, boston didn't feel like home anymore.

little did brooke know, matt could have sworn he saw her walking, before deciding that it was his imagination.